- DALAI LAMA FILM SERIES: 6 p.m., Zeitgeist Multi-Disciplinary Arts Center, 1618 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd., New Orleans. http://www.zeitgeistinc.net.
- GERMAN-AMERICAN STUDIES CONFERENCE: Royal Sonesta Hotel, 300 Bourbon St., New Orleans. Hosted by The Historic New Orleans Collection and the Society for German American Studies. $25. http://sgas.org/symposium.
- SIPPIN’ IN SEERSUCKER: 6 p.m.-9 p.m., The Shops at Canal Place, Decatur St., New Orleans. Hosted by the Shops at Canal Place, the event benefits the Ogden Museum of Southern Art. Partygoers will enjoy complimentary hors d’oeuvres from local restaurants and libations, shopping specials, entertainment and raffles. Seersucker ensemble contest. Call (504) 539-9613 or email
- THROWING SHADE ON SKIN CANCER — A BENEFIT FOR KARA MORGAN: 6 p.m., NOLA Brewing, 3001 Tchoupitoulas St., New Orleans. Music, burlesque, beer and liquor (included in the cost of the ticket), silent auction, raffle, parasol decorating, food trucks and more! Event is only for those 21 and older. http://www.nola
- THE PURPLE TIE GALA, A 50TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION: 7 p.m., The Crystal Palace Ballroom, 1725 Gretna Blvd., Harvey. The celebration takes place along with the Gardner C. Taylor Distinguished Preaching Series. http://www.eventbrite.com.
- SUGAR ART AND FASHION SHOW DOES NEW ORLEANS: 8 p.m., Eiffel Society, 2040 St. Charles Ave., New Orleans. Mad Girl Productions’ Sugar Art and Fashion Show is a night of collective artistry supporting emerging and underground talent, gathering different genres of artists from music, fashion, photography, fine and graffiti art into one venue in an innovative and nontraditional manner. $15, advance; $20, door; $75, VIP. http://www.sugarart
- CHILDREN’S WORLD’S FAIR: 11 a.m.-5 p.m., Louisiana Children’s Museum, 420 Julia St., New Orleans. A cultural fest designed specifically for families and children ages 4-14. International exhibition of crafts, food, music, hands-on projects, literature and more. $20, general admission; $16, members (advance only). (504) 266-2415 or http://www.lcm.org.
- A STUDIO IN THE WOODS PRESENTS FORESTIVAL 2013: 11 a.m.-5 p.m., A Studio in the Woods, 13401 River Road, New Orleans. A celebration of art and nature. Live music, food, artistic demonstrations and more. $5 suggested donation. http://www.astudioin
thewoods.org or (504) 392-5359.
- MENTORFEST: 11 a.m., Lawrence Square, Magazine Street and Napoleon Avenue, New Orleans. Sponsored by the New Orleans Kids Partnership. Crawfish, beer, sodas, door prizes, 610 Stompers plus Hot 8 Brass Band, TBC Brass Band and The Roots of Music, courtesy of The New Orleans Musicians Assistance Foundation. (504) 899-0820. http://www.nokp.org.
- FIFTH ANNUAL ‘NOLA VEGGIE FEST’: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday and noon-6 p.m. Sunday, New Orleans Healing Center, 2372 St. Claude Ave., New Orleans. Celebration of healthy and delicious vegetable-based cuisine featuring food vendors, restaurants, cooking demos, speakers, films and more. Day pass, $15 at the door, includes T-shirt, tote bag and product samples. Outdoor food vendor area open to the public. http://www.nolaveggie
- MOTHER’S DAY BRUNCH: 10 a.m., Crowne Plaza Hotel New Orleans-Airport, 2829 Williams Blvd., Kenner. $59, adults; $19, children under 10, plus tax and gratuity. (504) 463-7017 or email@example.com.
- GARDEN PARTY: 4 p.m. gates open, City Park, New Orleans. Outdoor concert featuring Amanda Shaw and Paul Soniat. No outside food or drink.