It was a wonderful summer at the St. Tammany Parish Library. The Summer Reading Program was a great success with 8,293 children digging the “Dig into Reading” theme and 554 teenage youths going “Beneath the Surface” to uncover a bedrock of titles.
- Children who reached the 10-hour reading goal received a beach bag and certificate. Teens who reached their 12-hour reading goal chose between a beach bag and a USB flash drive. Youth who have not yet picked up their prize have until Saturday to do so.
The summer was also filled with fun activities such as archaeology workshops, dinner theater, Egyptian crafts and a Spy Academy. We enjoyed special visits from performers like musician and author Johnette Downing, Playmaker’s Theatre Director Frank Levy and New Orleans author Dianne de Las Casas.
Due to the action-packed summer and to give the librarians time to prepare for fall programming, youth programming is on hiatus for the month of August. The fun begins again Sept. 3.
- We hope to see you soon at the library.
Programming from Aug. 15 to Aug. 22 includes:
- ACT PREP: Princeton Review will offer a free practice ACT exam to students in the classes of 2014 and 2015 at 9 a.m. Saturday at the Covington Branch, 310 W. 21st Ave. Registration is required by calling (800) 2-REVIEW or online at www.princetonreview.com. For information, call (985) 893-6280.
- TEEN COSTUME PARTY: Teens are invited to celebrate the release of the “City of Bones” movie at a costume party with trivia, runes and steles at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Slidell Branch, 555 Robert Blvd. Registration is required by visiting www.register.stpl.us/evanced/lib/eventcalendar.asp or call (985) 646-6470.
- DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY: Employees of Lakeside Camera will teach Introduction to Digital Photography at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Covington Branch, 310 W. 21st Ave. For information, call (985) 893-6280.
- LIT WITS BOOK CLUB: The club will discuss “Still Alice,” by Lisa Genova, at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Abita Springs Branch, 71683 Leveson St. For club information, call branch manager Kay Redd at (985) 893-6285.
- DOGEARED READERS BOOK CLUB: The club will discuss “The Piano Teacher,” by Janice Lee, at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Covington Branch, 310 W. 21st Ave. For information, call branch manager Sue Ryan at (985) 893-6280.