New members are always welcome to join the Booked for Murder Book Club that meets every third Thursday of the month at the Norman Mayer Branch in the Gentilly neighborhood, 3001 Gentilly Blvd. This month’s meeting is on Thursday at 5:30 p.m.
Make a gourd shaker
The Broadmoor Improvement Association is sponsoring a five-day workshop in which participants will make their own traditional West African shekere. A shekere is a percussion instrument made of a dried gourd with beads woven into a net that covers the gourd. The shape of the gourd determines the sound it makes.
This workshop is being held at the Rosa F. Keller Library and Community Center in the Broadmoor neighborhood (4300 S. Broad St.) and will be taught by the distinguished percussionist and drum-maker Kenyatta Simon.
This program is free and open to everyone 12 and older. Pre-registration is required, and space is limited, so please call (504) 821-6633 to sign up for this unique and interesting workshop.
Sidney Poitier film series
Lilies of the Field, will be the first movie shown as part of a special series, “Sidney Poitier: A Life in Film,” being held at the East New Orleans Regional Library, 5641 Read Blvd., on Saturday July 20th beginning at 2 pm.
This series will feature films from the pioneering actor who won his first Academy Award for this film in 1963.
For more information about any of these library programs, visit our website at neworleanspubliclibrary.org. To stay informed about upcoming library events, like our Facebook page, facebook.com/neworleanspubliclibrary, and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/nolalibrary.
Charles Brown is the executive director of the New Orleans Public Library.
NEW ORLEANS PUBLIC LIBRARIES
3014 Holiday Drive, (504) 596-2641
- COMPUTER EDUCATION SESSION: 11 a.m. daily.
- LONGUE VUE GARDENS, “LEAPING LIZARDS”: 2 p.m. Thursday.
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Saturday; 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
- KIDS CHECK OUT A BOOK AND WIN A PRIZE: all day Monday.
- CHESS CLUB FOR TEENS: 4 p.m. Tuesday.
913 Alvar St., (504) 596-2667
- BASIC COMPUTER TUTORING: 11 a.m. Thursday.
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. Saturday; 10 a.m. Monday.
- BUGMOBILE: 10:30 a.m. Monday.
- FRANKENTOYS: 2 p.m. Tuesday.
CENTRAL CITY BRANCH
2405 Jackson Ave.,
- MONDAY MORNING MOVIES: 10 a.m. Monday.
- STORYTIME: 10 a.m. Tuesday.
- VIDEO GAME DAY: 1 p.m. Tuesday.
CHILDREN’S RESOURCE CENTER
913 Napoleon Ave.,
- DIGGING FOR WORMS: 11 a.m. Thursday.
- MOVIE MATINEE: 1 p.m. Saturday.
- DIGGING FOR VOLCANOES: 11 a.m. Tuesday.
- STORYTIME: 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.
EAST NEW ORLEANS REGIONAL
5641 Read Blvd.,
- HOMEWORK CLINIC: 4:30 p.m. Thursday.
- COMPUTER CLASSES: 10:30 a.m. Saturday and Wednesday.
- STORYTIME: 1 p.m. Saturday; 5 p.m. Tuesday.
- SIDNEY POITIER FILM FESTIVAL: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- COLLABORATIVE STORY TIME WITH LA. PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA: 1:30 p.m. Monday.
- TECHNOLOGY QUESTIONS DROP-IN TIME: 4 p.m. Monday.
725 Pelican Ave.,
- FAMILY MOVIES: 10:30 a.m. Saturday.
- TEEN MOVIES: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- COLLABORATIVE STORY TIME WITH LA. PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA: 11 a.m. Tuesday.
KELLER LIBRARY AND COMMUNITY CENTER
4300 S. Broad St.,
- COOKING AS A FAMILY: 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
- CITIZENSHIP CLASS: 10 a.m. Saturday.
- COMPUTER TUTORING: 10 a.m. Saturday, by appointment.
- TEEN CRAFT: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- E-BOOK FAIR: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- STORYTIME FOR TODDLERS AND BABIES: 10:30 a.m. Monday.
- SHEKER WORKSHOP: 3 p.m. Monday-Wednesday.
- COOKING FOR TEENS: 5:30 p.m. Monday.
- ENGLISH CONVERSATION CIRCLE: 6 p.m. Tuesday.
- ZUMBA!: 6 p.m. Tuesday.
- OUTDOOR FUN, BUBBLES AND SIDEWALK CHALK ART: 2 p.m. Wednesday.
- SPANISH CONVERSATION CIRCLE: 6 p.m. Wednesday.
1611 Caffin Ave.,
- DIY CRAFTS: all day Thursday, Friday and Monday- Wednesday.
- KIDS’ CRAFT: 2 p.m. Thursday.
- DIG INTO STORY TIME AND CRAFT: 10 a.m. Wednesday.
- CANDY SUSHI: 2 p.m. Wednesday.
5120 St. Charles Ave.,
- FRIENDS OF NEW ORLEANS PUBLIC LIBRARY BOOK SALE: 10 a.m. Saturday and Wednesday.
- BOARD GAMES: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- FAMILY MOVIE: 2 p.m. Sunday.
- STORYTIME:10:30 a.m. Tuesday and 6 p.m. Wednesday
- TOASTMASTERS: 5 p.m. Monday.
- A BOOK CLUB CALLED DESIRE: 6 p.m. Wednesday.
3700 Orleans Ave.,
1401 S. Carrollton Ave.,
- STORYTIME: 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.
NORMAN MAYER BRANCH
3001 Gentilly Blvd.,
- REDBALL EXPRESS WWII MUSEUM “VICTORY GARDEN”: 10:30 a.m. Thursday.
- MOVIES FOR TEENS: 2 p.m. Thursday and Saturday; 4 p.m., Monday.
- BOOKED FOR MURDER BOOK CLUB: 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
- WRITING WORKSHOPS LED BY YOUTHS (AGES 12-17): 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
- COMIC BOOK WEEK: All day, Thursday-Saturday.
- OPEN TECHNOLOGY Q&A: 10 a.m. Monday.
- FREE NUTRITION CLASSES: 1 p.m. Monday.
- TABLETOP GAMES: 4 p.m. Tuesday.
- STORYTIME AND CRAFT: 5:30 p.m. Tuesday; 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.
- CRAFTERNOON FOR TEENS: 3 p.m. Wednesday.
- CREATIVE WRITING WORKSHOP: 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.
6301 Canal Blvd.,
- PRESCHOOLERS’ STORYTIME: 11 a.m. Thursday.
- STORYTIME: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- TEEN MOVIE NIGHT: 5 p.m. Saturday.
- BUGMOBILE: 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
219 Loyola Ave.,
- COS-PLAY CRAFT INTENSIVE: 10 a.m. Saturday.
- BOOK PARADE: 10:30 a.m.
- CRAFTS WITH MISS ANDREA:
1 p.m. Saturday.
- ANIME CLUB: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- SHARE A READ BOOK CLUB: 2 p.m. Saturday.
- BUGMOBILE: 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.