N.O. Copbriefs for May 19, 2013 

Deputies arrest pair in two robbery cases

Two Metairie men accused of robbing a business and pedestrian at gunpoint Thursday morning have been arrested.

Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s deputies booked David Lewis, 21, of Metairie, and Stanford Randolph, 19, of Metairie, into Jefferson Parish Correctional Center on two counts each of armed robbery and one count each of attempted armed robbery, sheriff’s spokesman Glen T. Boyd said in a news release.

The men also tried robbing a second person, but were unsuccessful, Boyd said.

They surrendered to deputies in New Orleans, Boyd said.

No other details were available.

Acid vial explodes
in UNO laboratory

A vial containing an acid mixture exploded Friday afternoon in a chemistry lab at the University of New Orleans.

The vial exploded in a cabinet designed for such an incident and the only person in the third floor lab was on the other side of the room and was unharmed, New Orleans Fire Department spokesman Michael Williams said in a news release.

Other students were evacuated from the third floor and a Hazardous Materials team was called in, Williams said.

The team performed air quality tests as well as tests on the liquids until they determined there were no other dangers present, Williams said.

The cabinet doors and several unmarked vials in the cabinet were damaged, Williams said.

A clean-up crew under contract with the university was notified, Williams said.

Woman victim of aggravated battery

New Orleans police investigated an aggravated battery at 188 Ruth Drive in which a female sustained non-life threatening injuries.

No other details were available and the investigation is ongoing, according to a Police Department email.

Firefighters rescue boy in lighter fire

A 13-year-old boy accidentally ignited a fire at a North Robertson home Saturday while playing with a cigarette lighter and had to be rescued by firefighters as the home burned, the New Orleans Fire Department said.

The boy called firefighters at 4:37 p.m. and said he was in a bathroom because his bedroom was on fire, the Fire Department said in a news release.

Firefighters arrived at the 3715 N. Robertson home at 4:42 p.m. and found heavy black smoke and fire coming from the front window and three of the side windows, the release says.

As one crew of firefighters battled flames in the front of the home, another crew went to the back of the home to rescue the child, the release says.

The boy was about to call firefighters again to say he was stuck in the kitchen but dropped the phone and screamed that he was trapped after he saw firefighters approach him, the release says.

The teenager had become trapped in the kitchen because he did not have the key to the bars on the kitchen door, the release says.

Firefighters removed the bars over the door and rescued the child, the release says. Medical personnel checked him and released him on scene.

The fire was brought under control at 4:58 p.m., the release says.

The home was destroyed, and a nearby home at 3717 N. Robertson sustained smoke and water damage, the release says.

Seven Fire Department units carrying 18 firefighters were called in for the incident, in addition to police, medical personnel and Entergy officials, the release says. The American Red Cross was helping the newly displaced family.

Compiled by
the New Orleans bureau.