THURSDAY, JAN. 10
- AUDITIONS FOR LEND ME A TENOR: 7 p.m., Playmakers Theater, 19106 Playmakers Road., Covington. Show runs March 8-24. http://www.playmakersinc.com, email email@example.com or call (985) 789-4024. Volunteers also needed for props, lights and sound, costumes and stage management. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
FRIDAY-SATURDAY, JAN. 11-12
- 198TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE BATTLE OF NEW ORLEANS: 9 a.m., Chalmette Battlefield, 8606 W. Bernard Highway, Chalmette. Living history experts dresssed as civilians and soldiers from 1815 will share their stories, fire cannons and muskets and explain the importance of the battle in American history. Skirmish re-enactment at 7 p.m. Friday. First shuttle leaves the public parking area at 6:30 p.m. Tours on Saturday beginning at 5:45 p.m. No tickets sold at the door. (504) 689-3690, ext. 10 or http://www.nps.gov/jela
SATURDAY, JAN. 12
- EXOTIC ANIMAL AND MASCOT RACES: 6 p.m., Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots, 1751 Gentilly Blvd., New Orleans. The first zebra race ever in the South will be paired with the return of ostrich and mascot racing. The Miller Time Beer Garden will serve as a premium viewing area with a stellar vantage point near the start of the exotic animal races, plus DJ Rob Nice and access to some of the area’s best food trucks and pop-up food vendors – BBQ and Some, Fry Bar NOLA, La Cocinita and Woody’s Fish Tacos. A mascot race featuring favorite fuzzy friends from the sports world will pit Fair Grounds mascot Gentilly Billy and sister racetrack Churchill Downs mascot Churchill Charlie against the likes of Bones (New Orleans Voodoo), Havoc (Loyola University), Mojo (Voodoo) and Riptide (Tulane University). General Admission will be $10 at the door. Clubhouse and Miller Time Beer Garden admission will be $15. Children 12 and under will be admitted free. For dining and box seat reservations, call (504) 943-2200. To book a party for groups of 25 or more, contact the Group Sales department at (504) 948-1285.
- BOX OF WINE HIGH TEA: 6 p.m., Funky Nola, 1700 N. Broad St. Fundraiser for Box of Wine, the do-it-yourselfers’ parade that “dares to go where the big parades roll.” Food, music, wristbands for Mardi Gras restroom facilities. (504) 669-8022. $25.
- ST. MARGARET MARY SINGLES DANCE: 8 p.m.-midnight, 1050 Robert Blvd., Slidell. with DJ ron Harris. BYOL and snacks for your own table. Soft drinks and ice provided. Smoke-free. $12 per person. (985) 710-6004.
WEDNESDAY, JAN. 16
- FILM SCREENING &MDASH; “VALOR WITH HONOR”: 7 p.m., screening; 8:30 p.m., Q&A. Stage Door Canteen, National World War II Museum, 945 Magazine St., New Orleans. This documentary follows the World War II Japanese-American 442nd Regiment Combat Team. Filmmaker Burt Takeuchi will be on hand to introduce his film and answer questions. Reservations are required. For more information, call 504-528-1944 x 229