THURSDAY-SUNDAY, DEC. 13-16
- A CHRISTMAS CAROL: 7:30 p.m. Thursday-Saturday and 2 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, through Dec. 16. Contemporary Arts Center, 900 Camp St., New Orleans. Southern Rep production of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol features John “Spud” McConnell as Ebenezer Scrooge. Call (504) 522-6545 or visit www.southernrep.com for reservations.
FRIDAY-SUNDAY, DEC. 14-16
- THE ABANDONED HEART CIRCUS: 7 p.m., Dec. 14 and 16; 1 p.m., Dec. 15. Cafe Istanbul, 2372 St. Claude Ave., New Orleans. Avatar Movement Dance Co.’s original production follows a young girl whose dark past forces her to choose a new life. $15 and $20. http://www.avatarmovementdanceco.com.
- THE PECAN CRACKER: 7:30 p.m., Friday and Saturday, and 2 p.m., Sunday, Rivertown Theaters for the Performing Arts, 325 Minor St., Kenner. New Orleans Christmas musical based on the Nutcracker. $17-$20. (504) 461-9475 or http://www.rivertowntheaters.com.
- SWEENEY TODD: 8 p.m., Allways Lounge, 2240 St. Claude Ave., New Orleans. Thursdays-Sundays through Dec. 16. Helen Gillet and Ratty Scurvics star in the Sondheim musical about a murderous barber. $25. (504) 218-5778.
- “TITANIC” AND “THE ACTOR’S NIGHTMARE”: 8 p.m. ,Friday-Saturday and 2 p.m., Sunday. Lupin Theatre, Tulane University, New Orleans. Promethean Theatre Co. presents a double feature of the Christopher Durang short pieces. $20, general admission; $15, students and seniors. (504) 865-5106.
- SCROOGE IN ROUGE: 8 p.m., Friday-Saturday and 6 p.m., Sunday through Dec. 23. Mid-City Theater, 3540 Toulous St., New Orleans. Ricky Graham, Varla Jean Merman, Yvette Hargis and Jefferson Turner reprise their British Music Hall romp in which a cast of three attempts to stage Dickens’ A Christmas Carol. (504) 488-1460.
- COVINGTON NATIVE IN KING ARTHUR’S COURT: 8 p.m., Friday and Saturday and 2 p.m., Sunday, Playmakers Theater, 19106 Playmakers Road, Covington. $8. (985) 893-1671.
SATURDAY, DEC. 15
- HANSEL AND GRETEL: 10:30 a.m., craft-making; 11 a.m., show, Carrollton United Methodist Church, 921 S. Carrollton Ave., New Orleans. An abridged production of the opera recommended for children under 12, presented by the Junior Committe of the New Orleans Opera Association’s Women’s Guild. $15, adults; $10, children. Call (504) 529-2278, ext. 227.
- THE AMAZING TRUE STORY OF SANTA CLAUS: 11 a.m., Rivertown Theaters for the Performing Arts, 325 Minor St., Kenner. A Christian approach to the Santa story. A one-man musical presentation. $10. (504) 461-9475 or http://www.rivertowntheaters.com.
- A CHRISTMAS CAROL: THE WHOLE STORY: 2:30 and 7:30 p.m., Joy Theater, 1200 Canal St., New Orleans. Rene Piazza, Edward Simon, MaryLee Gibbons and others reimagine the classic tale. (504) 528-9569.
- SIX GEESE A’LAYIN’: 6 p.m., Columns Hotel, 3811 St. Charles Ave., New Orleans. Performance of non-traditional Christmas songs by Cabaret Columns. $15. (504) 202-0986 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE: 7 p.m., Deutsches Haus, 1023 Ridgewood Dr., Metairie. Doors open at 6 p.m. NOLA Voice Talent Foundation, presents their 4th annual benefit radio drama 1940’s-style stage presentation of the Christmas classic “It’s A Wonderful Life” in front of a live theatre audience. Food and drinks available for sale. $15; $12, Deutsches Haus members. 50 pairs of FREE tickets will be given to the first 50 military service personnel - active or inactive (with ID). www.nolavoicetalent.org/iawl-2012.
- DANNY O’FLAHERTY’S CELTIC CHRISTMAS: 7:30 p.m., Jefferson Performing Arts Center, 400 Phlox St., Metairie. Musician O’Flaherty and friends present a show of song, dance and storytelling. $30, general admission; $27, seniors; $20, students; $15, children under 12. (504) 885-2000.
- BUSTOUT BURLESQUE: 8 and 10:30 p.m., House of Blues, 225 Decatur St. (504) 310-4999.
SUNDAY, DEC. 16
- THE NUTCRACKER SUITE: 2 and 6 p.m., Dixon Hall, Tulane University, New Orleans. More than 200 students from the New Orleans Recreation Development Commission and the New Orleans Ballet Association Center for Dance will perform The Nutcracker Suite. Tickets to the performance are $5 per person and can be obtained by calling the NOBA Box Office at 504-522-0996; in person at 935 Gravier St, Ste 800, until Friday, December 14, 4:30 p.m.; or at the door one hour before showtime.
- monday-tuesday, Dec. 17-18
- ROMEO AND JULIET: 7:30 p.m.; doors open at 6:30 p.m., NOMA Great Hall, One Collins Diboll Circle, City Park, New Orleans. $24, general admission; $12, NOMA members; $12, students. http://noma.org.
TUESDAY-SUNDAY, DEC. 18-23
- MARY POPPINS: 8 p.m., Tuesday-Saturday, 2 p.m., Saturday and 1 and 6:30 p.m., Sunday, Mahalia Jackson Theater for the Performing Arts, 801 N. Rampart St., New Orleans. http://www.mahaliajacksontheater.com.
- THE VICTORY BELLES PRESENT MAGICAL MUSICAL CHRISTMAS: Stage Door Canteen, National World War II Museum, 945 Magazine St., New Orleans. The vocal trio journey to the North Pole in search of Santa, singing favorite songs of the season along the way. Advance ticket purchase required. (504) 528-1943 or http://www.nationalww2museum.org for tickets and showtimes.