Livingston deputies accuse man in copper thefts

Jared Fedric
Jared Fedric

A man who briefly escaped the Livingston Parish Detention Center in June 2009 is back in jail after he was accused of stealing copper from air conditioning units at a Denham Springs storage facility.

Livingston Parish sheriff’s deputies arrested Jared Fedric, 35, after he allegedly ransacked seven air conditioning units at the Crossroads Storage Facility, 31870 La. 16, Denham Springs, the Sheriff’s Office said Monday.

Fedric, 920 Florida Blvd., Denham Springs, was booked into the Livingston Parish Detention Center on counts of theft, unauthorized entry of a place of business, simple criminal damage to property and simple burglary.

Fedric’s bail is $155,000, jail records show.

He was still imprisoned as of Monday afternoon.

More than four years ago, Fedric bolted from the then-newly opened jail by climbing through the ceiling and escaping through the facility’s attic.

Sheriff Jason Ard, who was the Sheriff’s Office’s chief deputy at the time, has said Fedric “physically Spidermanned his way up the wall” in order to escape.

In the copper thefts, deputies were summoned to the storage facility Sept. 15 to investigate a report of $56,000 in damage to the air conditioning units, including the value of the copper stolen from all of the units, Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Lori Steele said in a news release.

Deputies identified Fedric as a suspect after reviewing surveillance footage from the facility, Steele said.

Sheriff’s deputies and Denham Springs police arrested Fedric on Sept. 19 without incident, Steele said.

Fedric is a suspect in other copper thefts in Livingston Parish, Steele said. Details of the other alleged thefts were not available Monday.

Shortly after being booked on a drug-related count in June 2009, Fedric escaped from the jail about five months after it opened.

Fedric slipped out by climbing through removable ceiling tiles and passing though an area in the attic where a concrete wall was supposed to have been built, but wasn’t.

Fedric then made his way to the lobby before fleeing.

Fedric was caught after a 31/2- hour search involving about 100 personnel, including sheriff’s deputies and state Department of Corrections bloodhound chase teams, the Sheriff’s Office has said.

Fedric pleaded no contest Dec. 3, 2009, to simple escape for his breakout, court records show.

He was sentenced to two years in state prison with one year suspended and was given credit for time served.

Contractors reinforced that area in the jail’s attic to prevent any such escapes in the future.

Fedric has had other run-ins with the law.

He pleaded no contest in February 2007 to one count of indecent behavior with juveniles and two counts of distribution of Schedule I controlled, dangerous substances, court records show. He was sentenced to three years in prison with credit for time served.

Fedric also pleaded no contest in May 2011 to illegal possession of stolen things, simple criminal damage to property and theft. He was sentenced to two years in state prison with credit for time served.

Prosecutors agreed not to file a habitual offender bill in that case as part of Fedric’s plea, court records show.

Fedric also appeared in court Sept. 12, which was three days before the alleged copper theft, on a simple burglary count.

The details of that case were not available Monday. He is set for a Nov. 4 court date in that incident.