- MAYOR’S PRAYER BREAKFAST: 6:30 a.m., breakfast; 7 a.m. to 8 a.m., program, Council on Aging, 949 Government St., Denham Springs. Mayor Durbin and the Denham Springs Kiwanis Club will host the 11th Annual Mayor’s Prayer Breakfast, which is open to everyone.
- SENIOR CRIME EXPO: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Abundant Life Church, 206 Edgewood Drive, Denham Springs. Local agencies will have health and senior information at the 17th annual “Senior Crime Expo.” The Livingston Parish SALT Council will sponsor. (225) 686-3811.
- PRESCHOOL STORY TIME: 10 a.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch, 26941 La. 43. (225) 567-1441.
- ESL CLASS: 4:30 p.m., Livingston Library Branch, 20390 Iowa St. The conversational English class is open to non-native English speakers at all levels of ability. (225) 686-2436.
- OPEN MIC NIGHT: 5:30 p.m., Watson Library Branch, 36581 Outback Road. Patrons can sing, play an instrument or read poetry in front of an audience. (225) 664-3693.
- MYSTERY DINNER THEATER: 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch, 8101 U.S. 190. The show will feature Sergeant Paul Golmon, of the Denham Springs Police Department, as guest speaker and performances from members of the Young Writer’s Club and Writer’s Circle. Registration is limited. (225) 665-8118.
- WORD BASICS: 10 a.m., Watson Library Branch.
- RESUME WORKSHOP: 10 a.m., Livingston Library Branch. Patrons can create or update their ré sumé s. Registration is required.
- BEAD ART EXHIBIT GRAND OPENING: 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Old City Hall, 115 Mattie St., Denham Springs. Participants will get to meet Stephan Wanger at the grand opening of his beaded art exhibit, listen to live music by Rosie and the Swingin’ Riveters, enjoy refreshments and view local artists’ show-and-sale. Admission is free, but participants should bring Mardi Gras beads to turn them into art. (225) 667-7512 or “Bead Town Denham Springs” on facebook.
- LPCC SPRING CONCERT: 7 p.m., Live Oak United Methodist Church, 34890 La. 16, Watson. Tickets for the 22nd Annual Livingston Parish Children’s Choir Spring Concert are $5 each. The concert will have a free nursery. http://www.lpccsing.org.
- COMMUNITY GOSPEL SINGING: 7 p.m., Church of Jesus Christ, 25136 Center St., Springfield. The gospel singing will have refreshments. (225) 250-0655.
- BENEFIT COOK-OFF REGISTRATION DEADLINE: The benefit cook-off will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 18 at Lagniappe Restaurant, 30161 La. 22, Springfield. All proceeds will go to the Killian Police Department. It will have hot-air balloon rides, spacewalk, waterslide, dunking booth, face painting, auction, raffle and all-you-can-eat food starting at 1 p.m. The cost to attend is $10 per person or $15 per couple. Children, ages 13 and younger, get in for free. (504) 415-6685 or (225) 937-9999.
- BENEFIT YARD SALE: 6 a.m. to 3 p.m., Keller Williams Realty Premier Partners, 230 Veterans Blvd., Denham Springs. All proceeds will go to Access the Need: Livingston Parish School Supply Drive. Participants must pay with cash. (225) 664-1911.
- BENEFIT FOR BRIANNA MANUEL: 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Friendship Community Benefit Center, at Walker North Road and Springfield Road. The benefit will raise funds for Brianna Manuel by selling jambalaya and pastalaya. Manuel is a student at Westside Junior High who suffers from Complex Regional Pain Syndrome and needs financial help to go to Cleveland Clinic Children’s Hospital in Ohio. Donors can also send money to JP Morgan Chase, account number 3025115972. (225) 505-8344.
- ELLIOT MILTON FAMILY REUNION: 10 a.m., home of Nelda Jean and Jack Graham, 37525 John Lanier Road, Walker.
- MAY THE 4TH BE WITH YOU: 10:30 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch and South Library Branch, 23477 La. 444. Patrons can celebrate all things Star Wars by joining pod races, asteroid hunts and a lightsaber craft. Patrons can also earn a Jedi certificate by completing an obstacle course. (225) 698-3015 for the South branch.
- RUMMAGE & BAKE SALE: Christian Center Church, 8774 Dave Clark Road, Denham Springs. The rummage and bake sale will also have plate lunches for $6. (225) 667-4331.
- ADULT BOOK CLUB: 10 a.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch. Members will discuss “The Double Bind” by Chris Bohjalian.
- BENEFIT GOLF TOURNAMENT: 1 p.m., Carter Plantation Golf Course, 23475 Carter Trace, Springfield. The Carter Plantation Community Association 4th Annual Golf Tournament will benefit the Springfield Fire Department and the Historic Carter House Society Inc. Registration will start at 11:30 a.m. The tournament will have prizes, food and drinks. The cost is $600 per four-person team. A participant can also pay $100 to become a sponsor and get a sign posted at one of the holes. It is open to the first 36 registered teams. Registration forms are at http://www.theplantationpoa.com. (225) 747-0660.
- PUBLISHER BASICS: 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. The computer class is free. Registration is required.
- COMPUTER BASICS: 3 p.m., South Library Branch.
- DSFA RECEPTION: 6 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- INTERMEDIATE E-MAIL: 2 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. Registration is required for this free computer class.
- PS3 HARRY POTTER AND CRAFT: 5:30 p.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch.
- DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m., South Library Branch.
- TEEN ANIME/MANGA CLUB: 6 p.m., Livingston Library Branch. Members will discuss the latest manga, watch anime and learn about Japanese culture.
- ELEMENTARY ART CLASS: 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., South Live Oak Elementary School, Room 602, 8400 Cecil Drive, Denham Springs. Students grades 2 through 6 will focus on the elements of art and the principles of design. Students should bring regular No. 2 pencils and a drawing pad. Cost is $40 for members of the Arts Council of Livingston Parish and $45 for others. To enroll, call (225) 954-2700.
- CHILP MEETING: 6:30 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- SOUL INSPIRED JOURNALING: 10 a.m., Watson Library Branch.
- STORIES, SONGS AND MORE: 10 a.m., Livingston Library Branch.
- BEAD ART WORKSHOPS: 10 a.m. to noon, 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., building next to Old City Hall. Stephan Wanger, the creator of the Bead Town traveling art exhibit displaying at the Old City Hall, will offer free workshops Wednesdays and Thursdays until the end of his exhibit, June 13. Participants, ages 8 and older, will get to help create three original pieces that Wanger will include in his exhibit. Another workshop will take place from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Thursdays where each participant will make a beaded mask or picture frame to take home. The cost is $20. Call (225) 667-7512 to register.
- MYSTERY MAVENS BOOK CLUB: 1 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. Members will hone problem-solving skills while reading and discussing mystery books.
- INTERNET BASICS: 3 p.m., South Library Branch.
- LIVINGSTON PARISH LIBRARY BOARD MEETING: 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., Livingston Library Branch.
- SUNNY SIDE UP BOOK CLUB: 10 a.m., Watson Library Branch. Club reads inspirational fiction.
- PRESCHOOL STORY TIME: 10 a.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch.
- BOOK CLUB: 10:30 a.m., Livingston Library Branch.
- INTERNET BASICS: 2 p.m., Watson Library Branch.
- ESL CLASS: 4:30 p.m., Livingston Library Branch.
- HOW MONEY WORKS SERIES: 6 p.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch. The series takes place on Thursdays.
- TEEN CHILLOUT: 6 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. Teens can chill out before Finals by playing on the PS3 or Wii, making a craft and snacking.
- FLY TYING: 6 p.m., South Library Branch.
- SPINE TINGLERS BOOK CLUB: 6 p.m., Watson Library Branch.