Matalyn Stark, of Pearl River High School, was the grand prize winner in the Division III individual category in the 2013 Region 8 Social Studies Fair on March 13 at Southeastern Louisiana University.
Stark’s winning Louisiana history project was “Brick by Brick.”
All grand prize winners will advance to the state Social Studies Fair to be held at LSU later this spring.
The grand prize individual winner in Division II (grades 6-8) was Catherine Rockwell, of Mandeville Junior High, for her economics project “The Federal Reserve System.” In the division’s group category, Aleigh Sanders and Marlie Smith, of Martha Vinyard in Ponchatoula, claimed the top prize for their geography project “Aurora Borealis: ‘The Northern Lights’.”
In Division I (grades 4-5) Daniel Acosta, of Southeastern Laboratory School, claimed the grand prize for his history project “Who Remembers the Armenians.”
Other winners by parish and school announced at the event were:
- DOYLE ELEMENTARY: Braedon Gray, Division II, fourth place, sociology
- FRENCH SETTLEMENT ELEMENTARY: Payton Clouatre and Samantha Lewis, Division II, third place, history.
- MARTHA VINYARD: Arinanah Sultana, Division I, first place, sociology; Lucas Drake and William Drake, Division II, first place, anthropology; Savannah Babin, Division I, second place, geography; Savannah Harris, Division I, second place, sociology; Aiden and Breysen Dettwiller, Division II, second place, sociology; and Zachary Larkin, Division II, second place, Louisiana history; Abby Harper, Division I, third place, sociology; Joseph Louviere, Division II, third place, Louisiana history; Maygen O’Mally, Division I, fourth place, history; and Madison Saucier, Division I, fourth place, sociology.
- NEWSOM MIDDLE: Danielle Hampton and Christopher Durbin, Division II, second place, history.
- SOUTHEASTERN LAB: Jessica Kerber, Division II, first place, history; Amber Ashton, Division II, second place, history; Leah Benfield, Division I, third place, economics; and Holly Elizabeth Bordelon, Division I, third place, history.