August 16, 2012
- Intermediate Word: 1 p.m., South Library Branch, 23477 La. 444. The class is free. For more information, call (225) 698-3015.
- Grief Support Group: 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch, 8101 U.S. 190. Doctor's Hospice-Livingston will hold a support group meeting for anyone experiencing a loss such as divorce, death of a loved one or other life changes. For more information, call (225) 667-1340 or call the library at (225) 665-8118.
- Puppet Show: 6 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library.
- Edward Livingston Historical Association: 6 p.m., Livingston Library Branch, 20390 Iowa St. For more information, call (225) 686-2436.
- Veterans Association Meeting: 6 p.m., Walker Town Hall, 10136 Florida Blvd., Walker. The Livingston Parish Veterans Association meets on the first and third Thursday of each month. Anyone wishing to participate and volunteer in the Livingston Parish Veteran's Day Celebration is welcome to attend the meeting. For more information, call (225) 413-0419.
- Beginner Drawing and Painting For Adults: 10 a.m. to noon, Livingston Parish Arts Council, 133 Hummell St., Denham Springs. The class costs $25 and is open to adults who are 16 years old or older. For more information or to register, call (225) 664-1168.
- Farmers Market: 7 a.m. to noon, New Covenant Church parking lot, 215 Florida Blvd., Denham Springs.
- Blood Drive: 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., Shady Bower Church, 13375 Galloway Garden Lane, Walker. Each donor will get a gift for donating. To sign up, visit http://www.bloodhero.com and enter sponsor code: shady.
- Pet Adoption Day: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., PetSmart, 1653 Millerville Road, Baton Rouge. The SPCA of Livingston will hold a pet adoption event where people can adopt dogs, puppies, cats and kittens. For more information, visit http://www.livingstonspca.com.
- National Railway Historical Society: 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Watson Library Branch, 36581 Outback Road. The Southeast Louisiana Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society will meet. For more information, call (225) 664-3693.
- Benefit for Dee Dee Sibley: 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Friendship Community Benefit Center, corner of Walker North Road and Springfield Road. The center will raise funds for Dee Dee Sibley by selling jambalaya, pastalaya or spaghetti for $6 a plate. For more information, call (225) 955-0281.
- Jewelry Making & Beading: 10 a.m. to noon, Livingston Parish Arts Council. The class is open to children who are 13 years old or older. To register, call (225) 664-1168.
- Family Puppet Show: 11 a.m., Livingston Library Branch. The show includes skits and songs for all ages.
- Science Saturday: 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., LIGO Science Education Center, 19100 LIGO Lane, Livingston. Visitors who come to LIGO during Science Saturday will get to take a tour of the facility and talk to a science specialist for free. The topic for this Science Saturday is "Bounce." For more information, call (225) 686-3173 or visit http://www.ligo-la.caltech.edu/SEC/sechome.html.
- Studio on Saturday: 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., Livingston Parish Arts Council. The class will cover the basics of drawing and painting for children. Each child will get to take home a completed artwork. The cost is $15.
- Mystery Dinner Theater: 7 p.m., Carter Plantation Magnolia Ballroom, 23475 Carter Trace, Springfield. The dinner theater will raise funds for the Historic Carter House Society. A cash bar will have cocktails starting at 7 p.m. with dinner following at 7:30 p.m. The fundraiser will also come with a drawing for a prize. Tickets are $75 each and are available in the Carter Plantation Pro Shop and Patenotte's Pool & Spa, 207 Market St., Hammond. Participants can also call (225) 747-0660 or email carter
firstname.lastname@example.org to get tickets.
- Food Allergy Support: 3 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- Baby and Toddler Story Time: 9:45 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- Word Basics: 10 a.m., Watson Library Branch.
- Preschool Story Time: 10:30 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- Intermediate Email: 2 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. The class is free. Call the library to register.
- College Bible Class: 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., Denham Springs Church of Christ, 118 Saint Louis St., Denham Springs. The college-level Bible course is part of the curriculum of the Kentuckiana Bible College. Brother Mike Abbott will teach. To register and pay fees, call (225) 287-5261.
- Denham Springs Athletics Meeting: 7 p.m., Big Mike's, 123 Aspen Square. Supporters of Yellow Jacket athletics are invited to the Denham Springs Athletic Association meeting.
- Livingston Amateur Radio Society: 7 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- Story Time: 10 a.m., Watson Library Branch.
- Story Time: 10 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- Hungarian Class: 2 p.m., Livingston Library Branch.
- Excel Basics: 2 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. The class is free. Call the library to register.
- Young Writers Club: 5 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- Email Basics: 6 p.m., Livingston Library Branch. The class is free.
- Battered Women's Support: 6 p.m., call for location. WOW will hold a battered women's support group meeting for women who are currently suffering from domestic violence and women who are survivors of domestic violence. WOW is also asking for emergency supply donations for its battered women's shelter like bottled water, battery powered radio, flashlights, can openers, paper plates, plastic utensils, Ziploc bags, first aid supplies, nonperishable foods and more. For location, call (225) 791-3940 or email email@example.com. For more information, visit http://www.womenowomen.com.
- Eclectic Book Club: 6:30 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. Members will discuss "Bless Your Heart, Tramp" by Celia Rivenbark.
- Amvets Post 68 Meeting: 7 p.m., Amvets Post 68, 26890 La. 42, Springfield. For more information, call (225) 294-8968.
- Stories, Songs and More: 10 a.m., Livingston Library Branch.
- Word Basics: 10 a.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch, 26941 La. 43. For more information, call (225) 567-1441.
- Story Time: 10 a.m., South Library Branch.
- ESL Class: 4:30 p.m., Livingston Library Branch.
- Alzheimer's Support: 6 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- Anime Maniacs Meeting: 6 p.m., Watson Library Branch.
- Preschool Story Time: 10 a.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch.
- Adult Trivia Night: 6 p.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch. Adult patrons are invited to play trivia games with different themes including Harry Potter, Star Wars and rock music.
- Laughter Lagniappe: 6 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. Laughter Lagniappe is an amateur comedy night that features six 10-minute acts. Those who wish to perform must register by Monday and submit a copy of the script. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.