Retail spending rises 7 percent in EBR Retail spending rises 7 percent in EBR BY CHAD CALDER| Advocate business writer Feb. 04, 2013 Comments Retail spending in East Baton Rouge Parish rose just less than 7 percent in November, figures from the city-parish Finance Department show. Businesses and consumers spent $672.6 million that month compared with $631.0 million in November 2011. The numbers do not include often-volatile vehicle sales. Spending had a couple of flat months after the U.S. Bowling Congress tournament left town in July, but rebounded in October by rising 6 percent. The November numbers, which include the beginning of the holiday shopping season, followed suit. For the year, consumer spending is up just less than 7 percent to $7.24 billion. The breakdown of numbers inside and outside the city limits for November were also similar to the gains posted in October. Spending inside the city limits was up 4 percent and spending in the outlying areas was up 10 percent. Looking at some key sectors: Manufacturing, which is about 12 percent of total spending, was up 23 percent in November and 19 percent for the year. Retail trade (not including vehicle sales, food services or drinking places) was up 3 percent in November and 4 percent for the year. It makes up about half of total spending and is by far the largest segment. Services, which makes up 10 percent of the total, was down 1 percent for November and up 10 percent for the year. Food services and drinking places, which makes up 10 percent of the total, was up 14 percent in November and 8 percent for the year. Vehicle sales, which make up 7 percent of the total, were up 15 percent in November and 12 percent for the year. Sales tax revenue to the city-parish, which includes vehicle sales, is up 7 percent to $14.5 million. For the year, sales tax revenue is up 7 percent to $156.6 million.