It’s Santa season in and around Ascension Parish.
Residents of all ages can see the bearded man in the red suit at several events and parties in the parish through Christmas Day.
Santa’s helpers are expected to appear at the following area events.
- Gonzales Christmas Parade, 2 p.m. Sunday. The Jambalaya Festival Association’s annual Christmas parade rolls Sunday with radio personality Roland Doucet as grand marshal. The parade route starts at East Ascension High School in Gonzales and turns onto Cornerview Road, travels up Burnside Avenue and dismisses at the Bayou Bank Shopping Center.
The parade will feature marching bands, school and civic groups and business-sponsored floats.
- Gonzales Senior Citizens Christmas Party, 10 a.m., Tuesday, Gonzales Civic Center. The free party for area seniors includes music, a meal and gifts.
- 5th Ward Volunteer Fire Department’s Santa Claus Route. Santa and his elves with the Fire Department will ride throughout Hillaryville and Darrow from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Monday collecting toys for the Christmas Crusade for Children and food for the area food bank, Fire Chief Peter Roblin said. The ride continues from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesdsay in Ascension Trace and the Loosemoore Road area; Wednesday in River Ridge and Pelican Crossing subdivisions and Dec. 13 in Pelican Point. For information, call the station at (225) 473-1960
- St. Amant Fire Department Santa photos. For a donation of a canned good or toy, children can get their photo taken with Santa at the St. Amant Fire Station on Stringer Bridge Road from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Wednesday. Hot chocolate and cookies will be served, Fire Chief James LeBlanc said.
- Christmas Caroling Routes for Galvez-Lake Volunteer Fire Department. Santa and the Galvez-Lake Firefighters will be caroling in area neighborhood again this year. Santa will be collecting canned goods, new unwrapped toys and donations. Santa will hand out candy canes to the children stopping by the firetruck, Fire Department spokeswoman Karen James said.
Caroling will begin 6 p.m. each night and end at approximately 9 p.m.
Firefighters will erect green and red reminder signs at the entrance of subdivision or street on the morning of the scheduled route in each area, she said.
All routes will be run, weather permitting. If, however, it rains on a scheduled night, Santa will be at Galvez-Lake Fire Department on Joe Sevario Road on that night to visit with children. There will not be makeup nights for rainouts.
For more information, contact Karen James at (225) 205-8660 or Galvez-Lake Fire Department at (225) 622-2490.
The route includes:
Friday: Moody Dixon Road, Greenfield Crossing, Graystone subdivision and Twelve Oaks subdivision.
Monday: Old Homestead, Oakridge and Galvez Oaks.
Dec. 13: McConnell, Keystone subdivision and Jamie Road.
Dec. 14: Old Hickory, Garden Court, Wallace Acres, Bertville, Villa Galvez and West Hernandez.
Dec. 17: Villa Court subdivision, Cross Creek, Fox Run, Creek Side and Merritt Evans Road.
Dec. 18: Henderson Bayou Road, Norwood Road, Chrissy Road and Stonehedge subdivision.
Dec. 19: Shadows of Ascension, Misty Oaks, Woodhaven, Shirleyville and Rustling Oaks.
Dec. 20: Lake Martin area, Jim Mayers Road, Lake Crossing and Lake Settlement.