LAFAYETTE — Changes to times and routes of Lafayette Transit System buses take effect Monday in an effort to make the routes more accessible and efficient.
The changes have been planned for several months, primarily based on the number of riders on each route.
“This shift will result in increased bus service on Johnston Street, which fulfills one of the goals of PlanLafayette — to increase transit service along targeted corridors,” Kevin Blanchard, Lafayette Consolidated Government chief development officer, said in a news release. “This also dovetails well with our proposed bus lease with UL. Students and faculty can ride for free, and there is now even more transit access to UL and downtown down the Johnston Street corridor.”
The university may lease up to five buses to add to its fleet, to provide its students transit services to and from its main campus. The agreement with the university will be considered by the council during its Aug. 19 meeting.
City officials suggested passengers plan for minor delays during the first few days of the changes.
“The first couple of weeks we often see some glitches, and we ask for our riders’ patience. We are confident that the revised routes will be able to serve our existing customers better and be able to attract new riders to the service because of increased convenience and efficiency,” Mike Mitchell, city transit and parking manager, said in the news release.
Riders will notice minor changes on four routes — 15, 55, 65 and 70 — and changes to start and circulation times on the following routes:
- Route 10 — 12th Street: will start 30 minutes earlier at 5:45 a.m.
- Route 25 — Johnston Street: will start 30 minutes earlier at 5:45 a.m.
- Route 30 — Martin Luther King Drive: will start 30 minutes earlier at 5:45 a.m.
- Route 35 — Madeline Avenue: will start 30 minutes earlier at 5:45 a.m.
- Route 50 — Pierce Street: will start 30 minutes earlier at 5:45 a.m.
- Route 60 — Louisiana Avenue: will start 30 minutes earlier at 5:45 a.m.
- Route 55 — Downtown Circulator: will start at 7 a.m. and is 30 minutes long.
- Route 65 — South Circulator: will start at 6:30 a.m. and is 90 minutes long.
For more information about the new routes, visit: www.ridelts.com.