LAFAYETTE — Retired Lt. General Russel Honoré will be the keynote speaker for the University of Louisiana at Lafayette’s spring commencement at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Cajundome.
Honoré, the former commander of Joint Task Force Katrina and a global preparedness expert, will speak to graduates during the General Assembly ceremony. There will also be commencement ceremonies throughout the day for each college, allowing graduates to walk and be recognized by name.
Honoré led the U.S. Department of Defense’s response to hurricanes Katrina and Rita in Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. He served in a variety of command and staff positions, which focused on military support to civil authorities and homeland defense.
Honoré retired Fed. 29, 2008, after 37 years of active service with the U.S. Army. He continues to speak and consult nationally on building a culture of preparedness.
Saturday’s college commencement schedule:
- 8 a.m. College of General Studies
- 1:30 p.m. B.I. Moody III College of Business Administration
- 4 p.m. College of Liberal Arts
Cajundome Convention Center – Festival Ballroom (second floor)
- 8 a.m. Ray P. Authement College of Sciences
Cajundome Convention Center – Exhibit Hall B (first floor)
- 8 a.m. College of Nursing
- 1:30 p.m. College of Education
- 4 p.m. College of Engineering
Angelle Hall (main campus)
- 8 a.m. College of the Arts