Faulty hot-water heater causes fire at apartment complex

A hot-water heater malfunction caused an apartment complex fire Thursday night on Longridge Drive that damaged a storage area outside one of the apartments.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department arrived at the Longridge Apartments, 11999 Rongridge Dr., around 7 p.m. and had the fire under control by 7:30 p.m., with minimal water or smoke damage, according to spokesman Mark Miles.

Only one of eight units in the complex was affected. Damage was estimated at $2,300.