Seven residents, five dogs safe after house fire Tuesday Seven residents, five dogs safe after house fire Tuesday Baker-Zachary-Central bureau March 06, 2014 Comments CENTRAL — Seven residents and five dogs escaped an early Tuesday morning house fire thanks to an alert motorist who spotted the blaze and called 911. The fire started when the homeowner flicked a partially lit cigarette out the front door. The cigarette landed on some carpet on the porch, Central Fire Chief Derek Glover said. The driver reported the fire at 2:30 a.m. after he crossed the Magnolia Bridge and saw the house just off Greenwell Springs Road, Glover said. Watson resident Brandon LeBlanc, 25, was heading to work at the ExxonMobil plant in Baton Rouge when he saw the flames. “I pulled off the road, saw the fire and called 911,” LeBlanc said Tuesday afternoon. “I’m glad I was heading to work at the time and I’m happy everything worked out.” The home is off a small gravel road and the Fire Department was able to get a regular-sized firetruck only halfway down the road. The department used a pickup and a 4-wheel-drive truck with a water tank and pump to put out the fire, Glover said. The house had no working fire alarm, but firefighters woke everyone up and were able to get the residents out of the house safely, he said. Glover said the part of the house near the entrance had some fire damage but the home was still livable. “We went back to the house and installed some fire alarms,” Glover said.