Six students arrested in threats to Live Oak High School

Six Live Oak High School students were arrested Thursday for threatening to damage the school and harm students, although authorities provided no specific details about the threats.

Matthew Arnold, 17, of Reinninger Road, Denham Springs; Aaron Crow, 18, of Karie Lane, Denham Springs; and Hannah Girior, 17, of St. Regis Court, Denham Springs, were each charged with one count of terrorizing.

Three juvenile students — two aged 15 and one aged 16 — were also each charged with one count of terrorizing.

A Livingston Parish School resource officer assigned to Live Oak High School learned the students were involved in what appeared to be a plot to damage the school and harm the students, the Livingston Parish Sheriff’s Office said in a news release.

Citing what she described as the ongoing investigation, a spokeswoman for Livingston Parish Sheriff Jason Ard’s office would not elaborate on the specific threats that were made, how they came to the attention of authorities or what the students did.

Ard said in the news release that the students, when confronted with evidence collected during an investigation, claimed it was all part of a joke.

“Due to the severity of this incident, I feel that what was meant as a joke impacts the well-being of the school’s students and staff,” Ard said. “The Livingston Parish Sheriff’s Office took these threats seriously and acted accordingly.”

Livingston Parish School Superintendent John Watson agreed that the threats had to be taken seriously.

“We can’t take any threats lightly,” Watson said. “The situation was dealt with, and we’re taking steps to correct the problem.”

Watson said administration called parents to let them know about the incident.

According to Louisiana law, the offense carries a fine of not more than $15,000 or 15 years in prison, with or without hard labor, or both.

Arnold and Crow have bonded out of the Livingston Parish Detention Center. Bond for each was set at $25,000.

Girior remains in the Livingston Parish Detention Center.

The juveniles were brought to the Florida Parishes Detention Center.

The investigation is ongoing.