Police: Origin of gun used in Walker slaying still unknown

Walker police say they believe 17-year-old Eddie Robert Island used a sawed-off shotgun to kill his mother last week but don’t yet know where he got the illegally modified weapon.

Police found a sawed-off, 12-gauge pump shotgun in the Village Drive town home where Tamila Wooley, 34, was found on New Year’s Day, said Capt. John Sharp, of the Walker Police Department.

Officers believe Wooley did not own the gun and Island brought it into the home, Sharp said.

Island likely did not buy the weapon because he is only 17 years old and does not have a valid Louisiana ID, which would prohibit him from buying a firearm, Sharp said.

Police have no report of such a weapon has being stolen, Sharp said.

“If he (Island) stole the shotgun after it had been illegally modified, it is highly unlikely that its rightful owner would have reported the theft,” Sharp said in an email.

Sharp said police are working to determine how he obtained the weapon, when and from whom he obtained it.

Dr. Ron Coe, Livingston Parish’s coroner, said investigators determined Wooley died of multiple gunshot wounds. However, he declined to say what specific type of firearm was used to shoot Wooley.

Police found Wooley’s body about noon on New Year’s Day on Wednesday at her Village Drive home in the Village Maison gated community off Walker South Road between Interstate 12 and U.S. 190.

Island, 12178 Village Drive, Walker, was booked into the Livingston Parish Detention Center the next day on a count of second-degree murder in his mother’s death. He remained jailed without bail as of Tuesday.

Police believe Island shot his mother at their home between late Dec. 29 and early Dec. 30 and left her body there for at least two days.

Island visited the home several times after his mother’s death to feed his two half-siblings still inside the residence. He had told them their mother was sick and resting, police have said.

The two half-siblings were found unharmed and were been placed in the custody of the Office of Child Services, police have said.

Police and friends of Island have said the 17-year-old had a contentious but never violent relationship with his mother.

Police believe one of Island’s issues with his mother was his desire to move back to California, where they lived until moving to Louisiana about two years ago. The pair lived in Denham Springs for a while before recently moving to Walker.

Island and Wooley would periodically get into arguments, police have said, but none of those arguments ever escalated enough to require police involvement.

Island showed no signs of physical abuse when arrested.

A friend of Island’s has said that Island said his mother would never let him leave the house and had possibly abused him. Wooley’s boss at work has said Wooley cared deeply for her son but that he was too difficult to handle at times.

Family members of Wooley have declined comment about her death.