- DOWNTOWN DEVELOPMENT DISTRICT: 8 a.m., Hilton Capitol Center, Heidelberg Ballroom, 201 Lafayette St. The meeting will focus on downtown events and developments. Call (225) 389-5523 or www.downtownbatonrouge.org.
- HEALTHCARE REFORM INFORMATIONAL: The Meeting Place, 2776 Sorrel Ave. Call (225) 921-6711.
- LET IT SNOW: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Scotlandville Branch Library,7373 Scenic Highway. The event features a Louisiana Art and Science Museum presentation of classic holiday songs enhanced with full-dome animation, laser imagery and special effects. Call (225) 354-7540.
- ZOO LIGHTS: 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo, 3601 Thomas Road. Tour larger-than-life lights and displays of zoo animals and holiday traditions. Hot cocoa will be available for purchase. www.brzoo.org. Call (225) 775-3877 or www.brzoo.org.
- SIDEWALK ASTRONOMY: 6 p.m., Jones Creek Regional Branch Library, 6222 Jones Creek Road. The Baton Rouge Astronomical Society will set up telescopes outside for the public to view the sky at night. Call (225) 756-1150.
- TUTORING: 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., Broadmoor Presbyterian Church’s Naylor Building, 9340 Florida Blvd. Qualified tutors provide free one-on-one tutoring for middle and high school students. Students and accompanying adults should arrive 10 minutes early to register. Call (225) 924-4271.
- AVA HAYMON READING: 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., LSU Museum of Art, 100 Lafayette St. Louisiana’s poet laureate will read in celebration of Emily Dickinson’s birthday. Champagne and birthday cupcakes will be served. Admission is $8 for the general public and free for members. Seating is limited.