- COUNCIL DISTRICT 1 MEETING: 6:30 p.m., Chaneyville Community Center, 13211 Jackson Road, Zachary. Councilman Trae Welch will host the monthly meeting for residents of District 1 to voice their opinions. The meeting also will have a Christmas dinner potluck where guests can bring a dish or dessert.
- CANS FOR A CAUSE: 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Capital Area Corporate Recycling, 1400 Main St. Participants can drop off canned goods to be donated to The Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank for the holiday food drive at the warehouse. An additional drop-off location is available from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. at The Fresh Market, 10555 Perkins Road. Call (225) 379-3577 or www.cacrc.com.
- PHYSICS LECTURE: 9:30 a.m., Broadmoor United Methodist Church, 10230 Mollylea Drive. Rupel S. Amin will discuss the Higgs Boson particle and related physics. (225) 578-2500.
- HOLIDAY GRIEF GROUP SESSION: 10 a.m., Sunrise Assisted Living, 9351 Siegen Lane. The Hospice of Baton Rouge will sponsor the session, which is free and open to everyone. Call (225) 767-4673.
- A VISIT FROM MRS. CLAUS: 10 a.m., Central Branch Library, 11260 Joor Road. Mrs. Claus will visit all of the library branches and take letters to Santa back to the North Pole with her. Call (225) 262-2660.
- TEEN HOLIDAY MOVIE DAY: 3 p.m., Baker Branch Library, 3501 Groom Road. Teens are invited to watch a funny Christmas movie. Call (225) 778-5960.
- “RAGS AND TATTERS”: 5 p.m., E134, Howe Russell Hall, Tower Drive, LSU campus. Come see a free screening of the Egyptian film, “Rags and Tatters.” After the screening, discuss the film and contemporary Egypt with Andy Young and Khaled Hegazzi.
- TUTORING: 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., Broadmoor Presbyterian Church’s Naylor Building, 9340 Florida Blvd. Qualified tutors provide free one-on-one tutoring for middle and high school students. Students and accompanying adults should arrive 10 minutes early to register. Call (225) 924-4271.
- LSU SYMPHONIC BAND: 7:30 p.m., LSU Union Theater, Raphael Semmes Road. Tickets are $20 for the general public, $15 for faculty/staff/seniors and $10 for students with ID. Call (225) 578-5128.
- COOL WINTER NIGHTS AND HOT JAZZ: 7:30 p.m., Manship Theatre, Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. Brian Shaw, trumpeter; Willis Deloney, pianist; and Bill Grimes, bassist, will perform holiday favorites with an 18-piece big band at two concerts. The performances also will feature Elizabeth Floyd and Father Greg Daigle as guest vocalists. Tickets are $10, $25 and $35. Call (225) 344-0334.