East Baton Rouge Parish deputies arrested a man Sunday in the theft of a $1,200 Toshiba laptop, then for impersonating a deputy when he tried to get the owner to give him the computer’s password.
Deputies booked Vincent David Wutke, 41, no address available, Baton Rouge, into Parish Prison on counts of impersonating a police officer, theft, simple criminal damage to property and simple burglary of an inhabited dwelling, prison records show.
The day after the robbery, the victim found a note on her doorstep asking her to call a “Dep. V. Davis,” the arrest warrant said.
When she called, Wutke allegedly told her he worked as a deputy at the Kleinpeter substation and tried unsuccessfully to persuade the victim to give him her password for the computer, the warrant said.
Deputy V. Davis does not exist, the warrant said.
Police investigating bodies found in motel
Two bodies were found Sunday afternoon at a Motel 6 on Gwenadale Drive in Baton Rouge, police said.
The bodies of a man and woman were found at 1:47 p.m. by motel staff, and detectives have not determined the cause of death, police spokesman Cpl. Don Coppola Jr., said.
Coppola said there are no signs of foul play.
“The details surrounding this incident are uncertain at this time pending further investigation,” Coppola said.
Parish Coroner Dr. Beau Clark said there were no gunshot wounds or visible signs of trauma on either body, and he won’t rule on the deaths until the autopsies are performed Monday.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Violent Crimes Unit at 389-4869 or Crime Stoppers at 344-7867.
Authorities book nine on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least nine people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish — including a Baton Rouge man on a fourth-offense DWI — and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
- Britt Sibley, 25, 11165 Catalpa, Baton Rouge, fourth-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Nelson Davis, 22, 122 Ave. A, Opelousas, first-offense DWI and a one-way street violation.
- Franklin Ebbs, 46, 1900 Blunt Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and failure to maintain control.
- Jeremy Fountain, 23, 1941 Peck Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, careless operation and possession of alcohol in the vehicle.
- Lynnsey Herwig, 23, 4200 Nile St., Bossier City, first-offense DWI, one-way street violation, hit-and-run and reckless operation.
- Philip Klee, 29, 8744 Fairoaks St., Denham Springs, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and hit-and-run.
- Joshua Pidgeon, 22, 3335 Crestview Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation, hit-and-run and possession of marijuana.
- Dimitris Rucker, 35, 10014 Street G., St. Francisville, first-offense DWI, following too close and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Preston Schulze, 23, 7136 Goodnight Ranch Road, North Richland Hills, Texas, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and headlights required.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.