Second suspect booked in drug-related shooting
Baton Rouge police arrested a second man in the fatal, drug-related shooting of Rayjaun Martin on Sept. 4.
Brian Nero, 22, 922 Chipley St., Baker, was booked into Parish Prison on Saturday on counts of principal to first-degree murder, principal to attempted first-degree murder and armed robbery.
Police have said Nero was on the scene when Curtis Howard, 18, shot and killed Martin and fired at another man on Big Bend Avenue about 10:50 p.m.
Police said Howard, 9588 Great Smokey Ave., and Nero deliberately targeted the men because they knew drugs were in the victims’ vehicle. Howard and Nero took the drugs and fled after the shooting, police have said.
Howard was arrested Tuesday and booked on counts of first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, armed robbery and illegal use of a weapon.
Police said Martin and another man were driving down Big Bend when they pulled into a driveway to turn around and another vehicle pulled in behind them, blocking them.
Howard and Nero got out, each with a handgun, police said, and pointed them at the two men. Police have said Howard began firing when Martin’s companion disarmed Nero, and ran away. Martin was struck several times and later died.
Authorities book 10 on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least 10 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Elliot Bickham, 22, 3225 Victoria Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, insurance required, disobeying a red light and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Michael Coates, 30, 8155 Jefferson Highway, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, failure to change address on driver’s license, motor vehicle inspection required and reckless operation.
- Logan Crume, 21, 1110 Sweetbriar, Ruston, first-offense DWI and failure to maintain control.
- Clarence Elliott, 26, 1373 Harwich Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, disobeying a police officer and reckless operation.
- Michael Gilliam, 24, 1114 Old Dutch Mill Road, Colorado Springs, Colo., first-offense DWI, reckless operation, drinking in a motor vehicle, driver’s license required or expired, possession of marijuana and improper lane usage.
- Luis Leitzelar, 46, 642 Plantation Ridge Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation, speeding and disobeying a red light.
- Charles Manship, 30, 5753 Belle Grove Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Christopher Pelora, 22, 5720 Mahowey Road, St. Francisville, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and following too close.
- Harold Walker, 51, 3958 N. Foster Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, drinking in a motor vehicle, reckless operation and failure to maintain control of a vehicle.
- Rose Yesso, 57, 8423 Oak Brook Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.