Apartment fire leaves eight units without power

An electrical malfunction caused a fire in one unit of the Tiger Park Apartments, 1257 Jim Taylor, Wednesday night, but stopping the blaze meant leaving eight units without power, the Baton Rouge Fire Department reported.

Firefighters responded to the call around 8:35 p.m. and had the fire under control by 9:20, according to a depatment email sent at 11:19 p.m.

Firefighters arrived to find a fire in the rear, outter wall of Unit 4 and contained the fire to the wall, which had to be dismantled, said Curt Monte, a Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesperson.

Eight units were on the same eletrical main, so the power was shut off to all of them, he said, adding the Red Cross was called to assist residents.

Damage was estimated at $80,000 — $70,000 to the building, $10,000 to contents.