Man gets 55 years in Covington shooting that wounded ex-girlfriend and her father

Stephen Krell, who stalked his ex-girlfriend and then showed up at her parents’ home near Covington and shot her and her father, will spend at least 54 years in prison — effectively a life sentence for the 49-year-old — Judge Raymond Childress decided Tuesday.

Childress sentenced Krell to 45 years for the attempted first-degree murder of Stephanie Stein, five years shy of the maximum. But Krell also received the maximum 10-year sentence for aggravated battery in Don Stein’s shooting. The sentences are to be served consecutively without benefit of parole, probation or revocation of sentence, except for one year of the battery sentence.

Krell was found guilty in 22nd Judicial District Court last month after a trial that ended with him yelling at witnesses and slamming a door in a deputy’s face as he resisted efforts to move him to an adjacent holding area. For that, he was charged with battery on an officer, a misdemeanor that carries a sentence of six months in jail and a $500 fine, and resisting an officer with force or threats of violence, a felony that carries a maximum sentence of three years and a $2,000 fine.

He has not been tried on those charges.

Krell initially faced two counts of attempted murder in the March 12 shootings, but a jury found him guilty of a reduced charge in Don Stein’s shooting.

St. Tammany Parish sheriff’s deputies responding to a 911 call found Stephanie Stein lying on the kitchen floor of the family’s home on Fitzsimons Road with a gunshot wound to the chest. Her father’s head had been grazed by a bullet, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

According to the Sheriff’s Office, Krell shot Stephanie Stein outside the house and then turned the weapon on himself, but it malfunctioned. Don Stein walked outside while Krell was putting a new magazine into the gun, and Krell fired at him.

Krell, whose last address was in Liverpool, N.Y., had a history of domestic violence. He was arrested Christmas Day for domestic abuse battery after an argument. After that, Stephanie Stein reported harassing phone calls from Krell and an incident when he showed up at her parents’ home.

He was served with a protective order by the Ononadaga County (N.Y.) Sheriff’s Office on Feb. 26. But Krell continued to contact Stein, according to the Sheriff’s Office. Another warrant was obtained for violation of a protective order for his refusal to stop communicating with the victim. She received harassing phone calls and messages on Facebook and on smartphone game apps.