- BREC MOBILE PLAYGROUND:
9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., Gardere Lane Park, 1702 Gardere Lane; 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Red Oaks Park, 2100 Greenoaks Drive; and 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., Hamilton Park, 16200 Hamilton Ave. BREC on the Geaux will provide a mobile playground for 90 minutes of play. (225) 272-9200 ext. 502 or http://brec.org.
- PEOPLES HEALTH FITNESS CARDIO LINE DANCING: 9 a.m. registration, 9:30 a.m. fitness class, Exxon Mobil YMCA, 7717 Howell Blvd. The moderate level workout incorporates dances, such as the Cupid Shuffle and the Electric Slide. Register by Tuesday. (888) 257-4515 or http://peopleshealth.com/shs.
- BIRDS OF PREY: 10 a.m., River Center Branch Library, 120 St. Louis St. Javier Nevarez from the LSU Raptor Rehabilitation Center will give a presentation on birds of prey. Group registration is required. (225) 389-4967.
- DISNEY DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION: 2:30 p.m., Scotlandville Branch Library, 7373 Scenic Highway. (225) 354-7560.
- GETTING READY FOR FALL GARDENING: 6 p.m., Eden Park Branch Library, 5131 Greenwell Springs Road. Slow Food of Baton Rouge will discuss growing healthy plants in the fall and winter. (225) 231-3240.
- CAPITOL PARK MUSEUM’S SUMMER SERIES: 6 p.m., refreshments; 6:30 p.m., lecture, Capitol Park Museum, 660 N. Fourth St. The series will highlight Louisiana’s Acadian, Cajun and Creole heritage. The topic is “Preserving the Heritage: Bayou Pigeon, Louisiana-Spirit of the Atchafalaya.” The program is free. (225) 342-5428.
- HERITAGE LECTURE: 6 p.m., reception; 6:30 p.m., lecture, East Room, Old Governor’s Mansion, 502 North Blvd. The Foundation for Historical Louisiana will hold a lecture as part of its Heritage Lecture series. J. Michael Desmond, author, professor and architect, will discuss his book, “The Architecture of LSU.” Admission is free for FHL members and $10 for guests. (225) 387-2464 or http://www.fhl.org.
- SIERRA CLUB MEETING: 7 p.m., The Backpacker, 7656 Jefferson Highway. Paul Davidson, director of the Louisiana Conservation Coalition, will discuss the status of the Louisiana black bear and efforts to restore the endangered species. The Baton Rouge Group of the Sierra Club event is free. (225) 938-9353.
- LA PHOTOGRAPHIC SOCIETY:
7 p.m., Baton Rouge Garden Center, 7950 Independence Blvd. Troy Kleinpeter will discuss flash photography and photographing people http://la
- “AN AFFAIR OF THE HEART:”
7 p.m., Manship Theatre, Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. The theatre will show “An Affair of the Heart,” a documentary about the Grammy-winning musician, songwriter, actor and New York Times best-selling author Rick Springfield. Tickets are $8.50. (225) 344-0334 or http://www.manshiptheatre.org.
- “LES MISERABLES:” 7:30 p.m., Theatre Baton Rouge, 7155 Florida Blvd. Tickets are $29 for adults, $25 for groups of 10 or more and $16 for students. (225) 924-6496 or http://www.brlt.org.
- “THE WIZ:” 7:30 p.m., Independence Park Theatre, 7800 Independence Blvd. New Venture Theatre will perform “The Wiz,” a musical based on L. Frank Baum’s novel, “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.” Tickets are $20. For information: (225) 588-7576 or http://www.newventure