March 15, 2013
BR man wanted
in shooting arrested
A man accused of shooting at another man he was arguing with Nov. 23 has been arrested.
Derrick Key, 28, 2614 Harding Blvd., was booked Wednesday with attempted second-degree murder, illegal use of a weapon and criminal damage to property, East Baton Rouge Parish Prison records show.
According to an affidavit warrant, Key got into an argument in the 2800 block of Madison Avenue with the victim over a missing gun, walked to his vehicle, pulled a black pistol out and began firing.
Key shot at the victim three times and then fired several more times after the victim ran away, the warrant says.
The call about the shooting came from a resident on Fairfields Avenue whose house was hit, the warrant says.
3 people booked
on drug counts
A Baker man who escaped custody in Baton Rouge on Tuesday while handcuffed has been arrested.
Jeremy Jamal Russell, 26, 1019 Chemin Drive, was booked Wednesday with simple escape, possession of marijuana, theft, resisting an officer, driving under suspension and speeding, East Baton Rouge Parish Prison records show.
Russell’s girlfriend, 30-year-old Christina Greenwood, 11888 Longridge Ave., was booked with accessory to simple escape and obstruction of justice for helping hide Russell from deputies.
Deputies also arrested Devonta Cox, 20, 2559 Jura St., Baton Rouge, on drug counts, the warrant says.
Russell was in a Dodge Stratus that was under surveillance at a gas station in the 3400 block of Sherwood Forest Boulevard because East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office deputies had information a drug deal was about to occur involving Cox, the driver, according to an affidavit warrant.
While hancuffed and sitting in the back of the deputy’s car, Russell was able to escape and run away.
The investigation led the deputies several hours later to the Calloway Inn on Mead Road, where they found Russell.
According to the warrant, Greenwood picked up Russell from his mother’s home earlier and drove him to the hotel.
Eight people arrested
on DWI in EBR
Authorities arrested at least eight people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Wednesday and 2:30 p.m. Thursday booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Angela Albritton, 39, 3410 San Felipe Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and headlights required.
- Ryan Bercegeay, 21, 22992 Loto Road, Maurepas, first-offense DWI, speeding and careless driving.
- Michael Devall, 38, 35344 Old La. 16, Denham Springs, second-offense DWI, speeding and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Blake Jones, 22, 10925 Cheryll Drive, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI, following too close and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Sarah Mougeot, 22, 17764 Nine Oaks Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- David Nguyen, 22, 642 Jennifer Jean Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and disobeying a red light.
- Daniel Poche, 30, 25888 New Hope Ave., Denham Springs, first-offense DWI, expired motor vehicle inspection, driver’s license suspended/revoked and failure to signal/improper turn.
- Julie Varnado, 36, 6769 Airline Highway, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, domestic abuse battery and open container in the vehicle.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.