Chemical smell in house causes investigation

Firefighters from the Baton Rouge Fire Department’s Hazardous Materials Unit examined the interior of a Winside Drive home
Monday afternoon after a Baker police officer inhaled chemical fumes in the residence.

Police Chief Mike Knaps said Sgt. Greg Brown was assisting Zachary police in the arrest of a woman wanted on a probation violation. Fearing Brown had breathed chemicals used in making methamphetamine, police called the Baker Fire Department.

Two Baton Rouge firefighters determined, however, that the fumes came from a gas-fueled lantern being used for lighting the house, which had no electrical service, Knaps said.

Brown was treated at the scene by Emergency Medical Services personnel.

“He’ll be fine,” Knaps said.

Baker firefighters blocked Winside Drive to traffic until the hazardous materials investigators advised the house did not have an explosive level of chemicals inside.