February 22, 2013
- STAND FOR CHILDREN TALK: 10:30 a.m. to 11:45 a.m., Louisiana Resource Center for Educators, 5550 Florida Blvd. Stand for Children Louisiana, a nonprofit education advocacy organization, will hold a talk by Rick Hess, educator, political scientist and author of “Cage-Busting Leadership.” Hess will talk to educators, parents and students about how they can transform classrooms through their own version of “cage-busting” leadership.
- GUMBO 2013: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., St. James Episcopal Church’s Bishop Hall, corner of Florida Boulevard and North Fourth Street. St. James Episcopal Church Women will sell gumbo lunches for $10 each. They include shrimp or chicken and sausage gumbo, sensation salad, bread and a dessert. Customers can dine in or pick up. (225) 387-5141
- BROWN BAG SEMINAR: Noon, Greater Baton Rouge Hope Academy, 15333 Jefferson Highway. Dr. Don Hoppe will discuss “The Birds and the Bees and Special Needs: Talking to Your Child about Sexuality.” The monthly seminar is free and open to the public. http://www.HopeAcademyBR.org.
- GREATER BATON ROUGE DEMOCRATIC WOMEN: 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., Louisiana State Democratic headquarters, 702 Government St. The Greater Baton Rouge Democratic Women will sponsor a meeting featuring Andrea Miller, IT director and assistant national field director with Progressive Democrats of America, as the speaker. Miller will discuss the Equal Rights Amendment of 1972, the goal of putting more women candidates up for election and current bills that go against women’s issues. A reception will follow the discussion. Everyone is invited. (225) 266-7052.
- “LILLY’S PURPLE PLASTIC PURSE”: 7 p.m., Reilly Theatre, LSU campus. The play is a Playmakers of Baton Rouge production. Tickets are $15. (225) 578-6996 or http://www.playmakersbr.og.
- “A RAISIN IN THE SUN”: 7:30 p.m., Magnolia Arts Pavilion, 201 Community College Drive, Baton Rouge Community College. The performance is by New Venture Theatre. Tickets are $20. (225) 588-7576 or http://www.newventuretheatre.org.
- RECITAL HALL SERIES: 7:30 p.m., LSU School of Music Recital Hall, Dalrymple Drive, LSU campus. The recital will feature trumpeters, Tom Siders and Brian Shaw. Tickets are $10 for general admission and $5 for students. (225) 578-3941 or http://www.music.lsu.edu.