Jan 30, 2013 01:22 Woman gets 25 years in 2002 slaying Woman gets 25 years in 2002 slaying BY JOE GYAN JR.| Advocate staff writer Jan. 30, 2013 Comments A 51-year-old Baton Rouge woman was sentenced Tuesday to 25 years in prison for her role in the 2002 beating death of a man in his Elliott Road mobile home. Dana Lynn Smith’s attorney, Bo Rougeou, said he will ask state District Judge Mike Erwin to reconsider the term he imposed. Smith’s co-defendant, Melvin Toups, 31, of Donaldsonville, will be sentenced Feb. 21. He is being held without bond. Smith and Toups pleaded guilty in September to manslaughter charges in the killing of Nelson Dunbar, 47. Under the terms of their plea agreements, Smith and Toups were to be sentenced to no more than 25 years in prison. Both had been charged with second-degree murder, which carries a mandatory sentence of life in prison. Dunbar’s body was discovered Aug. 1, 2002, inside the mobile home. Smith and Toups were arrested in August 2002 but not prosecuted in the killing of Dunbar. In February 2010, they were indicted and re-arrested. East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney Hillar Moore III has said the Dunbar case was one of the cold cases his office began looking into when he took office in January 2009. Prosecutor Barry Fontenot said in court Sept. 20 that Smith gave Toups a key to Dunbar’s mobile home so Toups could steal money and marijuana from the trailer. While Toups was doing that, the prosecutor said, a sleeping Dunbar awoke and a fight broke out between the two men. Toups punched Dunbar several times and tied him up, Fontenot said. Toups told Judge Erwin on Sept. 20 that he had no intention of killing Dunbar and that Dunbar was breathing when Toups left the scene. Fontenot said Dunbar died of internal head injuries. The prosecutor said there was no intent to kill Dunbar.