ST. AMANT — An 84-year-old man awakened from sleep by the sound of his exploding oxygen bottles managed to escape from his burning Brignac Road home in St. Amant early Friday morning.
Firefighters who arrived on the scene just after 4 a.m. were still attacking hot spots by 7 a.m., St. Amant Volunteer Fire Department Assistant Chief Derek LeBlanc said.
The entire home had been overtaken by flames by the time firefighters arrived, LeBlanc said. He added that the blaze started in the kitchen.
Noble Keller, the only occupant of the residence, had cooked a pot of jambalaya and was going to cook some sweet potatoes, LeBlanc said. After placing some grease in a pot, he turned on a television set, sat down and dozed off, according to witness statements from neighbors, LeBlanc said.
Keller said he was awakened by the sound of his oxygen bottles exploding as a result of the blaze, LeBlanc said. Keller was able to crawl out of the house and go to a neighbor’s home where they called 911.
Keller was taken to a hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation, but LeBlanc said Keller suffered no other injuries.