Apartment units damaged in fire
An accidental kitchen fire broke out about 5 p.m. Saturday in an apartment at 9038 GSRI Ave., causing fire and smoke damage, a St. George Fire Department spokesman said.
St. George and Baton Rouge Fire Department units that began arriving at 5:06 p.m. encountered fire and dense smoke coming out of the upstairs apartment. They had the fire contained by 5:20 p.m., spokesman Eldon Ledoux said.
Although the fire was contained in the second-floor apartment, the ground-floor unit received moderate smoke and water damage, Ledoux said. Ledoux said 911 operators received several calls about the fire at 4:59 p.m.
No injuries to the firefighters or the 11 occupants of the apartments were reported, Ledoux said.
Five booked on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least five people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Friday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Benjamin Falgout, 23, 7515 Lew Hood Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, one-way street and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Richard Hayes, 47, 5290 Underwood St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, failure to maintain control (careless operation) and driver’s license required.
- Rachel Herrin, 24, 6444 Jones Creek Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, registration commercial vehicles exception, driver’s license suspended/revoked, insurance required and expired motor vehicle inspection.
- James Ross, 24, 7908 Broad Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and failure to maintain control.
- Jeffery Verret, 29, 32275 La. 75, Plaquemine, first-offense DWI, careless driving and possession of alcoholic beverage in vehicle.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.