Shooting death suspect arrested
Police arrested the alleged gunman Friday in the shooting death of a man inside his home in north Baton Rouge, an arrest warrant shows.
Harrison Morgan, 20, 5400 Sherwood Commons, was arrested on a count of second-degree murder in the death of Shermaine Matthews, records show.
Matthews, 28, was found dead in his home at 4838 Jefferson Ave., just after midnight Tuesday, police have said.
Matthews had been shot multiple times. The shooter was seen running from the house, police have said.
The motive for the shooting is unknown.
Morgan’s bail is set at $200,000, prison records show.
Police ID man killed while laying on road
State Police have identified a man struck and killed by several vehicles at 8:15 p.m. Friday after he lain down naked in the middle of busy Burbank Drive in East Baton Rouge Parish.
Trooper First Class Jared Sandifer said the man, 18-year-old Lawrence J. Kelson, of Baton Rouge, had been fighting and attacking patrons inside a Cracker Barrel convenience store at 9958 Burbank Drive, near the street’s intersection with Elvin Drive.
Kelson left the store and attempted to steal a car in the parking lot, the trooper said, but couldn’t get it started.
Kelson then ran into the street and lay down on the pavement in front of oncoming traffic. Three vehicles struck Kelson, causing fatal injuries, Sandifer said.
Troopers don’t know if Kelson was intoxicated, but they have submitted a toxicology sample to the State Police Crime Lab, Kelson said.
Five arrested on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least five people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Friday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Carlton Hurst, 23, 11388 Wilson Clinton Road, Clinton, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
- Jack McCauley, 60, 1406 Lake Calais, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and following too close.
- Paden Munn, 18, 468 Lemon B Road, Slaughter, first-offense DWI, speeding and improper lane usage.
- Jason Rousselle, 33, 32139 La. 1036, Holden, third-offense DWI, driver’s license suspended or revoked and improper right turn.
- Jacy Smith, 24, 10696 CR 214, Tyler, Texas, first-offense DWI and reckless operation of a vehicle.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.