Police recover body from Miss. River
An East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office marine search and rescue team recovered the body of a Baton Rouge man believed to have jumped into the Mississippi River from the U.S. 190 bridge at 9:04 p.m. Friday.
Sheriff’s spokeswoman Casey Rayborn Hicks said the body of a man believed to be Roger Jarreau, 71, 3303 Lone Oak Drive, Apt. D-203 was recovered about a mile downstream from the U.S. 190 bridge Saturday afternoon.
Hicks said the Sheriff’s Office received a report Friday night from a witness who reported seeing a man sitting on the side of the bridge, but deputies found only a cane and an empty vehicle when they arrived at the scene.
Deputies identified Jarreau as the car’s owner and began searching the river after searching his home, Hicks said in a news release.
The Search and Rescue team searched the river by boat until 4 a.m. Saturday and the Coast Guard searched with a boat and helicopter until 8 a.m. Saturday, the press release says.
The Sheriff’s office resumed its search at noon and found Jarreau’s body a couple of hours later, Hicks said. The case remains under investigation, but Hicks said the evidence points to a suicide.
Woman accused of stabbing ex over ring
The Baton Rouge Police Department arrested a woman Saturday afternoon after she allegedly stabbed an ex-boyfriend in the chest during an argument over a ring she gave him, an affidavit warrant says.
Tracy Dunbar, 47, 2958 Farrington Drive, Baton Rouge, asked her ex-boyfriend, Hardy Paul III to return her grandfather’s ring she gave him when they were dating, the affidavit says.
After Paul said he did not have the ring on him, Dunbar pulled out a knife and stabbed Paul in the chest, the affidavit says.
Dunbar was booked into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on one count of attempted second-degree murder
9 arrested on counts of drunken driving
Authorities arrested at least nine people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Friday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Bethany Altazan, 25, 4699 Cypress St., Zachary, first-offense DWI and failure to signal.
- Connor Bourg, 24, 653 E. Majestic Oaks, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and speeding.
- Orien Butler, 33, 5111 Herridge Drive, first-offense DWI and obstruction of a public passage.
- Clifford Englehart, 25, 26569 La. 1032, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI and careless driving.
- Tyehesha Harris, 27, 650 N. Ardenwood Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI.
- Leo Lejeune, 56, 9438 Dorchester Drive, first-offense DWI, equipment violation and improper lane usage.
- Edwin Mock, 30, 39070 Prairie North Drive, Gonzales, third-offense DWI, simple obstruction of public highway, failure to maintain control, driver’s license suspended/revoked and motor vehicle insurance required.
- Charmaine Shuttleworth, 50, 17520 Ashton Ave., Greenwell Springs, first-offense DWI, open container violation and failure to maintain control.
- Derrick Simmons, 41, 1815 N. 17th St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, failure to maintain control and possession of alcohol in vehicle.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.