October 21, 2012
Man found shot in face in parking lot
A 33-year-old man was shot early Friday in the parking lot of Capital Square Apartments, 700 N. 17th St., in Baton Rouge, a police spokeswoman said.
Police found the man in the 1800 block of Plank Road near Jefferson Avenue just after midnight, Capt. Joan Cage said. He had been shot once in the face.
The man was taken to a local hospital for treatment of life-threatening injuries, Cage said.
Anyone with information about the incident can contact police at (225) 389-4869 or Crime Stoppers at (225) 344-STOP or (225) 344-7867.
BR man booked in attack on girlfriend
East Baton Rouge sheriff’s deputies booked a Baton Rouge man into Parish Prison early Friday morning on attempted first-degree murder and other counts, an affidavit says.
Homicide detectives responded to a shooting at 852 St. John Lane at about 12:30 p.m. on Oct. 15, where Derek Jones, 39, allegedly shot at his girlfriend and a bystander, an arrest warrant says.
The bystander tried to intervene after Jones began hitting his girlfriend with a broken brick, the warrant says.
Jones left and went to his residence, where he retrieved a pistol and fired five to six shots at the girlfriend and bystander, the warrant says. He fled after firing the shots.
The girlfriend did not see who fired the shots, but the bystander identified Jones as the shooter, the warrant says.
Jones turned himself in to the Scotlandville Substation on Thursday, Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Casey Rayborn Hicks said in an email.
Deputies booked Jones on one count each of attempted first-degree murder, domestic abuse battery, aggravated battery and felon in possession of a firearm.
10 arrested on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least 10 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Thursday and 2:30 p.m. Friday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- David Babcock, 57, 11075 Blackwater Road, Baker, first-offense DWI, failure to maintain control and open container violation.
- Wendy Bates, 46, 9536 E. Cottage Hill Drive, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI and simple obstruction of public highway.
- Hunter Berch, 24, 1290 Park Blvd., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
- Kayla Cleveland, 23, 14113 Huntley Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and failure to signal/improper turn.
- Jared Crawford, 26, 30652 Stephens Drive, Denham Springs, third-offense DWI, speeding, insurance required and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Scott Dardnne, 23, 1721 Jasper Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and failure to maintain control.
- Alice Lewis, 34, 258 Berrytown Circle East, Meadville, Miss., second-offense DWI, speeding, failure to register vehicle, no proof of insurance and improper lane usage.
- Jessica Madere, 26, 8724 S. Pecan Tree Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and stop sign/yield sign.
- Tony Massengill, 47, 2733 Clarence Barham Road, Bethel Springs, first-offense DWI, careless driving and failure to dim lights.
- Tammy Pike, 29, 8531 Trailwood Ave., Baton Rouge, fifth-offense DWI, seat belt violation, driver’s license suspended/revoked, failure to maintain control, disturbing the peace and hit-and-run.
Prison officer accused of bringing in items
A security officer at the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison was fired after she was accused of taking a cellphone, batteries and cigarettes to an inmate she was attracted to, an East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office release says.
Danita Lillie, 44, 1636 Genola Road, Clinton, was booked on one count each of malfeasance and entering contraband into a penal facility, Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Casey Rayborn Hicks said in the release.
Hicks said Lillie worked at the prison for two years.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.