North Ardenwood fatal shooting victim identified

Baton Rouge police on Wednesday identified Kedrick Ricard as the 28-year-old man gunned down Tuesday while visiting the Renaissance Gateway apartment complex to drop off diapers at his girlfriend’s for their three young children.

“It’s senseless,” Courtney Maloid, the girlfriend’s sister said as she held one of the victim’s children, an 8-month-old boy, in her arms on Tuesday night.

Police responded to the complex at 650 N. Ardenwood Drive about 6:20 p.m. on Tuesday and found the victim shot multiple times, said Cpl. L’Jean McKneely, a police spokesman.

Paramedics with East Baton Rouge Parish Emergency Medical Services transported the victim to a hospital where he was pronounced dead, family members said.

A possible suspect turned himself in at the First District station on Plank Road shortly after the shooting occurred, McKneely said.

“Details surrounding this incident are unclear at this time,” McKneely said.

Shell casings from a .40-caliber handgun littered the sidewalk and parking lot next to Baton Rouge police crime scene markers inside the complex, as forensics personnel took numerous photos of the shells and other evidence in the fading, late afternoon sunlight.

Homicide detectives knocked on the door where the crime scene trail began, but no one answered.

Desmond Jordan, 26, a cousin of Ricard’s girlfriend, said the victim and other family members were walking along the sidewalk when they heard a couple arguing.

Ricard looked at the couple, which did not sit well with the man who was arguing with the woman, Jordan said. The man arguing with the woman pulled out a handgun, walked behind the group and began firing wildly, Jordan said.

Jordan said the account he got of what happened came from family members walking with the victim.

“It could have been them,” Jordan said of his cousins. “He could have shot anybody, a kid, anything.”

Jordan and others said Ricard was a hard-working, quiet man who kept to himself and worked construction to help care for his children.

“He was a regular guy, worked and took care of his family,” Jordan said.

Kesha Williams, 31, has lived at that complex since it opened about two months ago and said things had been fairly quiet until Tuesday night.

“It’s not a good thing that children were outside. I know my children won’t be playing outside,” she said, referring to her three children, ages 9, 12 and 16.

Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to contact the East Baton Rouge Violent Crimes Unit at (225) 389-4869 or Crime Stoppers at (225) 344-7867.