Fallen tree may be cause of fire in Greenwell Street house

A tree that fell on a Greenwell Street house Sunday led to electrical problems that may have sparked a fire Wednesday morning that damaged a bedroom, a Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman said.

Firefighters arrived at the home at 4068 Greenwell St., at 10:11 a.m. to find flames coming from a front bedroom window, Mark Miles said.

Firefighters extinguished the flames and kept the fire from spreading, Miles said. The rest of the house received severe smoke damage and minor water damage.

Investigators determined an electrical short in the front bedroom led to the fire, and the occupants told investigators that they had some electrical problems inside the home since the tree fell Sunday.

No injuries were reported, Miles said.