Baton Rouge couple’s fight ends in shooting
A woman who told police she was suffocating as her husband pressed a pillow over her face, shot him in the leg with a gun from under a different pillow, according to an affidavit of probable cause for the man’s arrest.
Christopher Jenkins, 33, had a history of domestic violence, according to the affidavit of probable cause, but on Friday he started pressing a pillow over her as she lay on a bed during an argument.
The victim told police she couldn’t get the pillow off and grabbed a .25-caliber gun beneath another pillow and fired once to try to scare him.
Jenkins fled down the stairs inside the house, but then he shouted at her, “What? You think I’m playing with you?” and charged up the stairs again, the affidavit says.
After the woman fired the gun a second time, he fled the house. The woman’s two children were in the house when the incident occurred, the warrant says.
Police found Jenkins, of 391 Tuscaloosa Ave., Baton Rouge, walking down 40th Street with a gunshot wound in his left leg, the affidavit says. He told police that “an unknown person” shot him.
Jenkins was booked into Parish Prison on a count of attempted second-degree murder.
Man accused of stealing from father
Baton Rouge police on Friday arrested a 19-year-old Denham Springs man who is accused of stealing $1,000 from his father after threatening to kill him if he didn’t hand over the money.
Elayan Shadi confronted his father at his business at 11735 Florida Blvd. on Friday, saying he had a gun behind his back while ordering his father to write a $1,000 check, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
Police later found Shadi in his father’s Jaguar with almost $1,000 that he admitted he got from cashing his father’s check, the affidavit says.
Police booked Shadi, 30982 Meadow Wood Blvd., Denham Springs, into Parish Prison on one count of armed robbery and two counts of possession of Schedule II drugs.
Authorities book six on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least six people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Friday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Demetris Kafkallides, 23, 18550 Plantation Court Drive, Prairieville, first-offense DWI, speeding and improper lane use.
- Tremeka Shelmire, 30, 680 Sharp Lane, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, careless operation of vehicle and failure to maintain control.
- Taylor Sanders, 35, 7147 Sevenoaks Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and one-way street violation.
- Joseph St. Romain, 48, 1625 College Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and improper lane use.
- Mardrace Williams, 25, 14200 Silverthorn Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, speeding, failure to signal or improper turn, seat belt violation and reckless operation of vehicle.
- Keith Wilson, 44, 16847 Centurion Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, license plate required, motor vehicle insurance required, obstruction of highway and reckless operation of vehicle.
Compiled from staff reports.
To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.