Bad heater sets fire to living room on Seneca Street

A malfunctioning gas floor heater sparked a fire in the living room of a 3121 Seneca Street house Tuesday morning, burning a wall before firefighters were able to get it under control, said Curt Monte, a spokesman for the Baton Rouge Fire Department.

Three people living in the house were able to escape unharmed. The fire was extinguished quickly enough to limit the damage and allow the three to continue living in the house, Monte said.

The fire was called in at 9:50 a.m., firefighter arrived two minutes later and it was under control by 10:10 a.m., causing about $8,000 worth of damage, Monte said.