Police: 2nd attack on man brings 2nd arrest
A Baton Rouge man facing attempted murder charges in a July shooting was arrested Sunday while out of Parish Prison on bail, accused of shooting at the same man he’s accused of shooting in July.
Police booked Deangelo Washington, 30, 3444 Chippewa St., Baton Rouge, into Parish Prison on two counts of attempted first-degree murder, illegal use of a weapon, intimidating a witness and a felon in possession of a firearm, booking records show.
According to an affidavit of probable cause, Washington is accused of approaching a vehicle in the 2700 block of Tecumseh Street on Saturday night while armed with a handgun.
Two men were sitting inside the car, one of whom Washington is accused of shooting on July 26 in the 2600 block of Wenonah Street, the affidavit says.
When the men sitting inside the car saw Washington, at least one grabbed a gun, and a gunbattle erupted, the affidavit says.
The men sitting inside the car weren’t hit., but Washington was shot, and police later arrested him upon his release from a Baton Rouge hospital, the affidavit says.
Police previously arrested Washington on Aug. 2 in the July shooting and he remained in Parish Prison on counts of attempted second-degree murder and illegal use of a weapon until his bail was lowered from $85,000 to $50,000 in late February, according to court records.
The court rejected a motion to reduce Washington’s bail in December, according to court records, and it wasn’t clear late Sunday what led to the decision to eventually lower the bail.
Shortly after he was released in late February, prosecutors filed a motion to revoke Washington’s bail and bring him back to prison after the victim in the July shooting reported that Washington had threatened him. That motion was denied, court records show.
Authorities book nine on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least nine people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish, including one person for third-offense DWI, and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Christopher Bearden, 39, 11850 Wentling Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and careless driving.
- Michael Billings, 26, 20655 Charles Ory Drive, Plaquemine, first-offense DWI and simple obstruction of a highway.
- Shedrick Brown, 35, 5987 Grand Ave., Baton Rouge, third-offense DWI, open container violation, reckless operation and resisting an officer.
- Lacretia Edwards, 31, 213 E. Bolivar Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Teodoro Gutierrez, 45, 4444 Kolin Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage and possession of an alcoholic beverage in a vehicle.
- Blake Haydel, 29, 17745 Barrett Lane, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and simple criminal damage to property.
- Quentin Jones, 30, 1408 Alabama St., Monroe, first-offense DWI, negligent vehicular injuring and improper lane usage.
- Chaz Messina, 23, 10149 Ginger Place, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation, improper lane usage and speeding.
- Hayden Miller, 22, 11555 S. Fork Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and speeding.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.