Family dog pulled from fire

Firefighters rescued a family’s dog from a burning home early Sunday, after the family had gotten out on its own.

Baton Rouge firefighters arrived at 4863 Longfellow Drive about 4:50 a.m. Sunday and found the kitchen ablaze from a pot left on the stove, Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman Curt Monte said in a news release.

The family was out of the house by the time firefighters arrived, but “firefighters did pull the family dog from the fire. The family and dog were unharmed,” the release says.

The fire damaged the kitchen and the rest of the home sustained smoke damage.

The estimated cost of the damage is $15,000.