Mar 17, 2014 22:20 Bed linens too close to portable heater blamed for house fire Bed linens too close to portable heater blamed for house fire Advocate staff report March 17, 2014 Comments Bed linens placed too close to a portable heater caught fire Monday morning, leading to a blaze that destroyed a home on North Lark Street, Baton Rouge firefighters said. The firefighters responded to 2786 N. Lark St., at 11:02 a.m. and found the back of the home engulfed in flames, Fire Department spokesman Curt Monte said. Firefighters kept the fire contained in the back of the home, but the rest of the structure received significant heat, smoke and water damage, Monte said. The fire was extinguished at 11:42 a.m., he said. The damage was enough for firefighters to consider the home a total loss, Monte said. The one person inside the home at the time of the fire was able to escape without injury, Monte said. The Red Cross was called to assist the displaced family.