Man falls asleep frying fish; home catches fire

A Baker family has been displaced from their home after a man fell asleep frying fish Saturday night and the oil caught fire, burning most of the kitchen before spreading to the attic.

Baker firefighters responded to 2424 Hovey St., about 9 p.m. and quickly controlled the fire before it spread to the rest of the home, Baker Fire Department spokesman Howard Ward said.

No one was injured in the blaze and the Red Cross responded to help the displaced family, he said.

The fire caused about $10,000 in damage, and the utilities had to be disconnected from the home, Ward said.