Lil Boosie must do 100 hours of community service

Heightened security and a few adoring fans greeted recently freed rapper Torence “Lil Boosie” Hatch when he returned Thursday to a Baton Rouge courthouse, where a judge ordered him to speak to youth in New Orleans about staying in school and away from drugs.

“They may listen to you more than they listen to anybody else,” state District Judge Chip Moore told Hatch, who was paroled last week from the Louisiana State Penitentiary after serving 52 months in state custody for various drug-related offenses.

Hatch, 31, has begun serving a four-year probation stemming from a September 2009 guilty plea — before Moore — to third-offense marijuana possession.

When Moore sentenced Hatch to four years in prison in November 2009, the judge ordered him to perform 100 hours of community service after his release.

That release came March 5.

Moore originally ordered Hatch, formerly of Baton Rouge, to perform the community service work in the Capital City. Because Hatch now lives in New Orleans, he can perform the service work in the Crescent City, Moore said.

“The judge feels like he could be a positive influence on young children, in terms of the necessity of children avoiding some of the trouble they find themselves getting into periodically,” said Lewis Unglesby, one of three attorneys who accompanied Hatch to the 19th Judicial District Courthouse, after court.

“I really think that his future will be quite bright, and he will eventually be making Baton Rouge proud,” Unglesby added.

Inside the courtroom, Moore congratulated Hatch for obtaining his GED while in prison. Unglesby told the judge that Hatch also completed substance abuse, anger management and parenting classes.

“He certainly got all the benefits that the prison system has to offer, and, ideally, he will have a very successful career that will benefit everyone,” Unglesby told reporters.

Moore had Hatch tested for drugs before he left the downtown courthouse and said he will be subject to random testing while on probation. When the judge asked if he had any drugs in his system, Hatch replied, “No, sir.”

Hatch held a news conference Monday in New Orleans and announced plans for a new album. He said he had written more than 1,000 songs behind prison walls.

Moore, who did not place any restrictions on Hatch’s travel, scheduled Hatch’s next probation review for July 18.

“I will track your progress,” the judge stated.

Hatch arrived at the courthouse with his attorneys, his mother and several others.

When he left the building, one female fan yelled, “Boosie, I love you Boosie!” Hatch did not speak with reporters.

Security was heavy outside the courthouse, which included city police on horseback, in black SUVs and on foot.

Security also was tight in 2012 at Hatch’s trial on first-degree murder in the October 2009 slaying of Terry Boyd, a 35-year-old man who was shot through a window inside his Vermillion Drive home.

An East Baton Rouge Parish grand jury accused Hatch in 2010 of paying Michael “Marlo Mike” Louding to kill Boyd. Louding told investigators Hatch paid him $2,800 to kill Boyd, but Louding later recanted in sworn testimony at Hatch’s trial.

An anonymous jury found Hatch not guilty. Louding, 21, was convicted in the killing last year and sentenced to life in prison.

Hatch wasn’t immediately freed after his acquittal because he also had pleaded guilty in 2011 to other drug-related counts for conspiring to smuggle codeine, marijuana, ecstasy and other contraband into Dixon Correctional Institute and the Louisiana State Penitentiary.

He was sentenced to eight years in prison but released early after earning good behavior and educational credits.