Woman falls off float at Spanish Town parade
One woman received moderate injuries after she fell off a float during the Krewe of Spanish Town Mardi Gras Parade on Saturday.
The woman, who was not identified, fell off the float shortly after 2:30 p.m. on Spanish Town Road, near the Hollywood Casino, said Mike Chustz, spokesman for the East Baton Rouge Emergency Medical Services, on Sunday.
He said they do not know if she fell from the first or second level of the float.
Girl, 7, struck by car on Chippewa Street
A 7-year-old is being treated for injuries after she was struck by a vehicle Sunday afternoon in the 3300 block of Chippewa Street.
Baton Rouge police spokesman Cpl. L’Jean McKneely said the child’s injuries do not appear to be life-threatening.
The incident occurred near North Acadiana Thruway.
McKneely said based on early reports, police believe the child ran into the road and the driver was unable to stop in time.
He said the driver stopped after the accident, and it does not appear that the driver will be cited.
Authorities arrest 16 suspected of DWI
Authorities arrested at least 16 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, prison records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- John Beard, 53, 15091 Woodstone Drive, Prairieville, first-offense DWI, hit-and-run, failure to maintain control and reckless operation.
- Michael Brady, 38, 9758 Avenue L, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, failure to maintain control and reckless operation.
- Christian Brock, 21, 28225 S. Satsuma Road, Livingston, first-offense DWI, reckless operation, improper lane usage and resisting an officer.
- Jill Jaufre, 29, 39672 E. Tiger Loop, Ponchatoula, first-offense DWI, failure to maintain control, other laws of the road and reckless operation.
- Paul Murray, 31, 5710 Wright Lane, Port Allen, first-offense DWI, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of marijuana and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Daniel Pearson, 29, 2223 Elmer St., Denham Springs, first-offense DWI, seat belt violation and reckless operation.
- Michael Phillips, 47, 8008 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, following too close, speeding and reckless operation.
- Guillermo Sanchez, 28, 3030 Congress Blvd., Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, reckless operation, backing unsafely and driver’s license required/expired.
- Christine Selvage, 50, 3841 Dalton St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, improper backing and improper lane usage.
- Reid Sheets, 19, 14280 George Rouyea Road, Gonzales, first-offense DWI, equipment violation and reckless operation.
- Richard Tullos, 44, 16201 Confederate Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and failure to signal.
- Joan Vidrine, 50, 5739 Hidden Ridge Lane, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage, disobeying a red light and reckless operation.
- Jacob Walker, 27, 11785 Brown Road, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI, equipment violation, reckless operation and driver’s license not in possession.
- Fredricka Washington, 31, 11624 Sherwood Valley Court, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, failure to signal, reckless operation, other laws of the road and vehicular negligent injuring.
- Daniel Weber, 38, 11212 Amite River Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, failure to change address on driver’s license and improper lane usage.
- Dustin Welch, 43, 17245 Penn Blvd., Prairieville, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.