Mar 2, 2014 06:51 Lit smoking material causes house fire Lit smoking material causes house fire Advocate staff report| March 02, 2014 Comments A house caught fire in Baker Friday evening because someone did not properly discard some sort of smoking material, the Baker Fire Department said on Saturday. The Baker Fire Department responded to the fire at 4225 Jefferson St., about 6:15 p.m. Friday, a news release says. When firefighters arrived, they found at least half the home on fire and smoking heavily, department spokesman Howard Ward said. The firefighters stopped the fire from spreading to the entire home. Two people in the home had already escaped by the time the fire department arrived. Neither they nor any firefighters were injured, Ward’s release says.