Early morning shooting sends man to hospital
One man was injured Saturday morning when he was shot in the arm on Main Street.
Details were scarce late Saturday, but Cpl. Don Coppola Jr., a police spokesman, said the shooting occurred at about 1:20 a.m. in the 600 block of Main Street.
He said the victim was able to drive himself to the hospital and the injury is not considered life threatening.
The investigation is ongoing.
Family argument in BR takes violent turn
A family argument turned violent Thursday, authorities said, when a Baton Rouge man attacked his brother with a knife after the brother tried to intervene in an argument between the suspect and their mother.
Baton Rouge police booked Donntrell Barbie, 23, 719 Iberville St., Baton Rouge, into Parish Prison on counts of aggravated second-degree battery Friday morning.
According to an affidavit of probable cause, the victim stood between Barbie and their mother as the argument became heated. Barbie punched his brother, then pulled out a large knife and stabbed and cut the victim several times, the affidavit says.
The victim suffered severe injuries as the result of the attack and was transported to a hospital, the affidavit says.
Seven booked in EBR on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least seven people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Friday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Shantel Atkins, 36, 22218 Warren St., Plaquemine, first-offense DWI, drinking in a motor vehicle, disobeying a red light and reckless operation.
- Albert Hamilton, 49, 32990 Adams Drive, White Castle, first-offense DWI, speeding and possession of alcohol in a vehicle.
- Cornell Jackson, 47, 2545 Lark St., first-offense DWI.
- Larry Jordan, 28, 4650 Jean St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, possession of alcohol in vehicle, possession of Schedule III drugs, reckless operation and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Scott Lingenfelter, 29, 6621 Marionette Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
- Matthew McGehee, 27, 1127 Castle Kirk, first-offense DWI, reckless operation, driving left of center, improper lane usage and failure to signal.
- Michael Williams, 31, 3745 Elm Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, driver’s license suspended/revoked and speeding.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.