BR man booked in robbery, shooting
Baton Rouge police Saturday arrested a 19-year-old man who is accused of robbing and shooting two men Friday night at an apartment complex off North Sherwood Forest Drive.
Police booked Derrick Lee, 19, 6336 Dutton St., into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on counts of attempted first-degree murder, armed robbery, false imprisonment, possession of a firearm with controlled dangerous substances, resisting an officer and simple possession of marijuana, said Cpl. L’Jean McKneely, a Baton Rouge police spokesman.
Lee is accused of entering an apartment in the 11300 block of Bard Avenue about 8:30 p.m. Friday, demanding money and later shooting two men, 31 and 33 years old, each in the torso, McKneely said.
Both victims were taken to a hospital with moderate injuries and they are expected to survive, McKneely said.
Man arrested on count of exposure to AIDS
East Baton Rouge Parish sheriff’s deputies on Saturday arrested a 34-year-old man accused of exposing a woman to the AIDS virus during unprotected sex earlier this week.
Police booked Chauncey Randall Carter, 34, 13313 Jackson Road, Zachary, into Parish Prison on a count of intentional exposure to AIDS, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
Carter told investigators he did not tell the woman, whose age was unavailable Saturday, that he suffered from HIV/AIDS before, during or after the two had unprotected sex on Jan. 27, the affidavit says.
The woman told detectives she met Carter several years ago at a nightclub. There, he introduced himself as “Chance Wilson,” a detective wrote in the affidavit.
The woman told them it wasn’t until after the recent sexual encounter and a subsequent positive HIV test that a family member notified her of Carter’s real name and informed her that he suffered from AIDS.
Carter was charged with intentional exposure to AIDS in 2007 and later sentenced to six months in Parish Prison after pleading guilty to a reduced charge of aggravated assault, according to court documents.
Blaze destroys home, SUV in Baton Rouge
An electrical malfunction likely led to an early Saturday morning fire that destroyed a home and SUV in north Baton Rouge.
District 6 firefighters responded to the 7100 block of Greenwell Street shortly before 6 a.m. to find the home engulfed in flames, said Assistant Chief Kevin Sanchez.
A live electrical wire in the driveway made the fire difficult to fight initially, Sanchez said, but electricians eventually cut off power to it, and the blaze was under control by 6:45 a.m.
The fire, which began in the kitchen, was likely caused by an electrical malfunction, Sanchez said, but the severity of the fire hindered investigators ability to officially rule on the cause of the blaze.
The home’s two residents weren’t home at the time of the fire, which rendered the house a total loss and totaled a Chevrolet Blazer parked in a nearby carport, Sanchez said.
The American Red Cross was called to assist the home’s two adult residents, Sanchez said.
11 accused of driving while intoxicated
Authorities arrested at least 11 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Friday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Clayton Currier, 33, 1414 Applewood Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Gretchen Fritchie, 25, 635 E. State St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Collin Hammons, 19, 777 Ben Hur Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, headlights required, tail lights required, possession of alcohol in a vehicle, flight from an officer and reckless operation.
- Landon Haynes, 31, 2202 Government St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, hit-and-run, reckless operation and failure to maintain control of a vehicle.
- Michael Hill, 51, 17531 Barrett Lane, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Courtney McGinty, 24, 1820 White St., Alexandria, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Joshua Nesser, 22, 11766 Villa Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and careless operation.
- Travis Okeke, 28, 5222 Hollywood St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, hit-and-run and reckless operation.
- Christopher Pontti, 41, 2346 Dawson Creek Lane, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Ethel Sifuentes, 22, 52618 Shiro Road, Independence, first-offense DWI and disobeying a traffic control device.
- Jonathan Ward, 30, 4442 Arrowhead Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, careless operation, driving without a driver’s license, an open container violation and reckless operation.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.