Interstate 10 from New Orleans to Lafayette will likely stay closed until sometime Thursday, State Police spokesman Doug Cain said Wednesday afternoon.
“We do not expect the temperatures to get high enough nor the sun to be out long enough to thaw the ice on the I-10,” Cain said.
He said temperatures of 36 degrees and 37 degrees are not warm enough to thaw out I-10, which has been closed since Tuesday.
However, Cain said that if the weather changes during the next few hours, portions of the interstate could open.
Many area roads and bridges across south Louisiana remain closed Wednesday due to ice and the Capital Area Transit System also stayed close, announcing it wouldn’t resume bus service until 11 a.m. Thursday.
Updated information about road conditions is available at http://www.511la.org or by calling 511. Louisiana State Police road information is available online. Also, check the DOTD Facebook page for information about road conditions. East Baton Rouge Parish also has road closures listed online.
Check theadvocate.com for updates throughout the day.
Some openings announced:
• In Baton Rouge, I-12 westbound from O'Neal Lane to Airline Highway is now open. Eastbound lanes are still closed at this time. The River Road from St. Ferdinand to Chippewa is now open.
• The Old Mississippi River Bridge at U.S. 190 is open in both directions, Advocate staff confirmed.
• The St. James Parish Sheriff’s Office announced the full opening of the Sunshine Bridge and La. 641 from Golden Grove to Louisiana Sugar Refinery and said one lane of the Hale Boggs Bridge is closed in each direction.
• The Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Office announced the opening of La. 73 at Cornerview , the La. 945 Loop in Donaldsonville, the Palo Alto Bridge and Bluff Road overpass.
• The Assumption Parish Sheriff’s Office announced the La. 1010 Bridge is open.
State troopers are monitoring road conditions around the state:
TROOP A (BATON ROUGE REGION)
• Sunshine Bridge (LA 70) restricted to one lane
• I-12 closed from the I-10/I-12 split in Baton Rouge to La. 1077 (Madisonville) in St. Tammany Parish
• La. 1026 (Juban Road) overpass at I-12 closed
• La. 16 (Pete’s Highway) overpass at I-12 closed
• I-10 closed from Lafayette to New Orleans
• La. 37 at Comite Bridge down to one lane in both directions
• Veterans Memorial Bridge (Gramercy Bridge LA 3213) closed
• I-110 closed
• La. 10 Audubon Bridge is closed
• Central Throughway is closed
• La. 22 at the Diversion Canal in Ascension Parish closed
• La. 3246 (Siegen Lane) overpass south of I-10 closed