The number and value of building permits issued in East Baton Rouge Parish increased in 2013.
The value of building permits issued by the city-parish Department of Public Works Inspection Division was $707 million, a 17 percent increase over the $603.5 million in permits issued during 2012.
The total number of permits increased by nearly 4.2 percent, from 21,689 to 22,599.
The number of single-family home permits dropped slightly, from 757 in 2012 to 744 in 2013. The value of single-family homes permitted also was down, from nearly $194.6 million in 2012 to almost $194.2 million in 2013.
The number of residential additions and remodeling permits was up 26 percent, from 921 in 2012 to 1,161 in 2013.
And the value of addition and remodeling permits was up 75 percent, from nearly $35 million in 2012 to almost $61.4 million.
Commercial permits increased, from 737 in 2012 to 764 in 2013. The value of commercial work went from $365.6 million in 2012 to nearly $414.8 million
Major commercial projects permitted in 2013 included:
- n A $55.1 million apartment complex and parking garage that Sterling University Housing is building at 4194 Burbank Drive. The complex, which will have 235 units, is set to open in 2015.
- Fairfield at Baton Rouge, a $36.7 million student apartment complex that Fairfield Development is building at 449 Ben Hur Road. The complex, which will have 304 units, is set to open in time for the fall 2014 semester at LSU.
- The District, a $25 million apartment complex and parking garage under construction at 5842 Perkins Road. The 312-unit complex being developed by Vintala Partners is set to open in the second half of 2014.
- A $13 million Wal-Mart Supercenter at 10550 Burbank Drive. The 159,000-square-foot store is set to open in the summer.
- A $12.2 million Costco store at 10000 Dawnadele Ave. The 148,316-square-foot store is set to open in the spring.
- An $11.1 million office-warehouse for Setpoint Integrated Solutions, formerly known as DMC Carter Chambers, at 19011 Highland Road. The 113,271-square-foot building is set to open in December.