Fire burns through roof of Blair Lane apartment

A fire early Monday burned through the roof on one side of an apartment at 5323 Blair Lane, the St. George Fire Protection District announced.

The call came at 4:20 a.m. and firefighters arrived on the scene at 4:29 a.m. and had the fire under control by 4:40 a.m., Assistant Fire Chief Chad Roberson said.

In addition to the roof damage, the apartment received heavy smoke and water damage, he said, estimating the value of the damage as $50,000 or more.

The American Red Cross was on scene to assist the family, he said.